First cable Damascus knife.

I've been away for a bit but I have been keeping with my smithing. Here are the last two I forged. The blue one is 1084 as for the other I finally tried my hand at forge welding some cable damascus. Although there were some small issues along the way, all in all I am happy with the results. I still need to do some experimenting with my etching method and see what works best for me.

IMG_5290_zpsvwp2skzb.jpg

IMG_5450_zpsidbbatdv.jpg

Edited by maolan

I like the pointyness and the extra little swoop up behind the ricasso to give more of a snug fit for your fingers. They look good and also functional as heck.

Those are my two criteria. Show us more, please.

Thanks for the kind words. Almost everything I've learned about smithing has come from this forum and the awesome work everyone does here. Chris, it's hard to get in a photo but it's almost like a shadow? You can angle the blade in the light and it has this dark section right in front of the ricasso. When I first etched it I didn't rub away all the excess black residue immediately. Maybe that's all it is? When I did my first etch to check my cable pattern I dipped it in straight ferric chloride. Once I pulled it out and neutralized the acid with baking soda the pattern rubbed away when I dried the blank. Maybe it was because my etchant wasn't deluded down yet and worked too fast or just because the metal wasn't hardened yet. Those are my thoughts. Hence I want to experiment and see. If maybe if I brushed away the residue evenly that shadow may not have showed?

Now those really look pretty, I agree with Kevin I like the look of the depth of the choil behind the ricasso, a beautiful user pair of knives.

Steve

Thats also my experience with straight ferric chloride. I´ve been searching for the right relation between FC and water pretty long, also playing with temperatures and so on. I get the best results so far with 20-25% of FC, temperature doesnt seem to play such a big role. Anyway, your result seems satisfying for me! Thanks for your answer

4 to 1 FC to water, approximately. Then etch for about 5 to 10 minutes, remove the oxides with a brisk rubbing with paper towel (and rotten stone if you are ambitious). Repeat 2 more times.

That will give an etch deep enough that you can feel it. It won't wipe away. It even works cold as heck.

kc