The Body Guard

Hi Guys

The blade steel for this knife has a core of L3 forge welded with wrought iron and M3 high speed tool steel, there are eleven layers in all. The blade length is 115mm, approx 5mm thick on the spine and has an overall length of 235mm. The handle scales are tiger stripe G10 with red liners which have been heavily sculpted to produce a really grippy handle and is secured to the tang with two stainless Corby bolts. The sheath is a wet formed moulded leather style which has been dyed black and has Kydex rivets around it's outer edge and is secured with a Blade Tech belt clip.

I hope you enjoy looking at it, all comments very welcome.

Steve

DSCF2990.jpgpost image online

DSCF2991.jpgpost image online

DSCF2992.jpgpost image online

DSCF2993.jpgpost image online

DSCF2994.jpgpost image online

Thanks for looking gents, definitely a good make up for a dagger with a tight ladder pattern cut in to give it more movement maybe, you've got the cogs turning already Jacob. I sculpted a handle made from some more of the Python skin Micarta today and the patterns that have developed there are really nice. I may have to look at combining the two.

Cheers guys

Steve

Hi Brian

L3 is the closest we can get to 52100 this side of the pond and the M3 was actually a large Sandvik steel cutting mechanical saw blade, I only used that to build up the layers really. The blade was heat treated to the spec's of the L3, the L3 really does take a great edge.

Steve

so, L3 is the edge steel, and you heat treated per those specs? Good idea, if I understand correctly. I like the blade shape and low layer count, it looks like it is a vicious thing (reminds me of the pictures of a octopus right before it attacks a crab, with the colors rippling through it).

I don't personally go for sculpted handles, I have wimpy professor hands, and I feel those sorts of things too much when I use them.

Not a true criticism, though, because it is a good style and what you meant to make. I am not putting it down at all.

kc

Thanks for that Kevin, regardless of how tough your hands are I wouldn't want to use this knife for extended cutting chores myself you are going to get hot spots sooner or later. It's really designed as a combat/self defence style knife really, I'm so glad I'm saying that on here, if I said that on a UK site they'd want to lynch me. You're right about the heat treat though, I used the spec's for the L3 because that's the cutting edge, if the layer count was a lot higher and I had used L3 and say 0-1, I'm not sure what heat treat spec's I would have used. Thinking about it personally I would go with the L3 heat treat again.

Edited by Steve Nowacki