Sign in to follow this  
Adam Betts

Twin hand-axes

...not identical twins, obviously, but the heads came from the same Jeep axle and the handles came from the same hickory log and I finished them at the same time. Not made for any particular reason, just to feed my obsession with axes.
IMG_0753.jpg
One is a Kentucky belt axe type of thing, the other has a miniature Hudson Bay look going on. The longer one is a bit over a foot from heel to head, the shorter one is just under a foot. Edge length is around 3 inches. They both balance just in front of the eye, which is usually desirable on many working axes.
IMG_0756.jpg
The handles are of local shagbark hickory, felled (if memory serves) in the Ashford area of Connecticut several years ago. They have a sort of rounded diamond profile which I have found indexes the axe very well and looks cool to boot.
IMG_0758.jpg
Splitting my own handles out of logs ensures that the grain runs straight and true. I finish shaping the handles with a hand scraper, because it leaves a surface that is both smooth and slightly textured, making for a good grip. They are then finished with tung oil. This log was just barely big enough for small axe handles, but the grain was really tight and I really wanted to keep it.
IMG_0766.jpg
They are wedged with mahogany, both because it's beautiful and because it's an ideal wood for the task, since it is light but hard. Normally it would be a tad expensive to make wedges with mahogany, but I happen to have been gifted a huge box of off-cuts from a friend whose parents built a whole deck out of it at their place in the Hamptons (it's good to be friends with people far wealthier than oneself on occasion).

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

Now they really are a beautiful pair, an indispensable tool superbly made.

Steve

• Like 1

If you found the handle wood in Ashford, shouldn't it be ash, not shagbark hickory? :D

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Bill, does that mean the ash log I have from Lebanon is actually a Lebanonwood tree? :D