Here are my two latest:

An O-1 hunter with 416 guard and spacer, with Ironwood handle. 4.5" blade, 9" OAL.

Stub Hunter (7).JPG

and another freakin' Bowie. You guys have seen this handle design before........

This blade is 1095, 9.25" long. The fittings are brass and nickel-silver. The handle is stabilized box elder burl.

Brass Bowie.JPG

Belly Work.JPG

Handle Heel.JPG

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

• Like 2

Nice :)

How did you keep the filework from filling up with epoxy?

I lightly smear some petroleum jelly on everything I do not want epoxy sticking to. When the epoxy oozes out and gets all over everything, I take a q-tip with a big blob of petroleum jelly and mix it into any epoxy that is on the filework (or any other surface). I can then wipe off the excess glue easily. Mixing the petroleum jelly into the epoxy keeps it from from curing. I can clean it out with a toothpick.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1

Both are great Josh, but I honestly think you found your calling with frame handles. Every time I see one of yours, I want to run out and make one. (I actually have one in the works... well the blade is done...) Great work man!

As always very very nice.

You said you didn't usually make stick tang knives. Did you make yourself a broaching tool?

It's funny you should ask.

As a matter of fact, after seeing yours and the ones Wes showed, I said to myself: I'm gonna make me one of those.

So I did. So then I said, well now that I have one of these things, let's see how well it works.

After that, things went downhill fast. Rob's pig would have been very upset the day a thought I had finished this handle with a piece of stabilized Buckeye. If that didn't get the pig riled up, the jacked up stabilized black ash would have.

Another castle in the swamp story, but I managed to purchase a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DC7PPIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That made shaping the curves and the tang slot a whole lot easier.

• Like 1

Both are great Josh, but I honestly think you found your calling with frame handles. Every time I see one of yours, I want to run out and make one. (I actually have one in the works... well the blade is done...) Great work man!

My method for frame handles is in the 2016 KITH thread: http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=32899&page=2

I make a template of the frame first. It doesn't have the slot cut for the tang, but it does have the holes drilled for the pins.

The trick is to drill the pin holes in the frame using the template, and then drill the pins holes in the scales using the frame while the scales are still square and flat.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1

Rifflers are also very nice for contour work.

Cheap ones do ok.

There are very nice high end ones.

Come to think of it, I have a set of rifflers......somewhere.

• Like 1

I finished the sheath for the hunter. The new owner picked it up today and asked me to make him a Damascus hunter with mammoth ivory handle.

Hunter & Sheath.jpg

Hunter & Sheath (3).jpg

Great stuff Josh. That file work is awesome, fluid like. your sheath looks great too! I put in a snap keeper on a sheath like that and every one who picked it up could not get the knife back in the sheath. I had no trouble myself, but decided to use a different design before some dufus at a show cuts his finger off.