Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Stumbo

Making raw burl crack and split?

Okay, I've got several trees I've found with burls on them. I plan on harvesting them soon, and as strange as it sounds, at least one of them I want to crack and split as much as possible, without totally falling apart.

Any thoughts on how to encourage cracking and splits? I'm thinking that just cutting the burl off the tree, then slabbing it before letting it dry ought to work. But I've never messed with it before.

Thanks for any insight.

Stephen.

Yeah cutting wood before it's dry does promote cracks. Just be careful, sometimes after cracking if the wood is very wet, the sides of the crack won't meet up right because of different rates of shrinkage.

Yep. In other words, slab it thick. Then you can cut, grind, or sand it flat once it's cracked and fully dry. I take it you want to fill the cracks with something like reconstituted stone powder?

I saw a fella on YouTube use aluminium and copper powder do that! He turned a bowl out of a Burl and filled the cracks with the metal powder and epoxy. Required a bit of buffing, but looked freaking awesome!

I might try the stone powder, but my main. Goal is to use glow powder with clear epoxy. Like this table.

download.jpg

Well, if my experience means anything, the best way to make it crack is to intend to use it for something where you can't have any cracking at all. Since you want it to che k, it'll probably come out solid ;)

Since you want it to check, it'll probably come out solid ;)

Yeah, that's very true knowing my luck, lol.

I'm with Brian! Murphy's law says it always goes backwards. On a practical note if your doing small pieces a forced rapid drying will crack it up . Put it in a oven on warm, or take a heat gun or blowdryer to it .

Do i understand right and does tree burl have a nicer finish then the normal wood the tree will provide?

Burl has a more interesting texture. Most wood grain travels in one direction. Burl twists and turns, very gnarled texture.