Type O sword

It's been a while since I've completed anything worthy of sharing but I've managed to recently finish up this Type O sword. The blade is forged from 80CRV2 and is 29.5" in length. It is just over 2" wide at the hilt and has a CoG of 5". The hilt is mild steel inset with sterling silver panels and twisted copper and silver wire. It was a challenging piece but overall I'm really pleased with the finished sword. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Mark

p800469901-5.jpg

p641064605-5.jpg

p605568380-3.jpg

p741925563-5.jpg

p829727764-3.jpg

p679921440-3.jpg

• Like 2

Well that is certainly worthy of sharing! Great work, the inlaid copper silver twists bordering the silver ravens panels are a nice touch.

very clean . beautiful polish. Love the wire enlay.

I am impressed. I really like the upper guard and pommel. The wire and inlays set this sword off very well. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Well done! I like the (etchings?) on the guards. Nice, crisp fuller, too.

It's just a personal preference, but I think it would have looked really nice with a patina on the hilt elements, a bit of brown or blue to add a contrast to the blade.

But, then, that's just me tinkering in my head with aesthetic dials, levers and switches. YMMV. Great job!

Dave

It's just a personal preference, but I think it would have looked really nice with a patina on the hilt elements, a bit of brown or blue to add a contrast to the blade.

There's the old jeweler/silversmith liver of sulfur to put blackish tint in the low spots to highlight the relief. My wife uses this on her silver jewelry and I've done it on silver conchos. Very permanent.

Great sword! I love the level of the polish on the pommel - I can see you, your house, and your fence in the reflection. The whole thing is very clean and elegant.

Thanks for all the comments!

Aldo- I'm really digging the 80CRV2. I found I have to go a little higher on the austenitizing temp vs 5160 but it heat treats easy and is super tough. I plan to keep using it, especially for swords. Thanks for providing it. ;)

Dave- I had originally thought about weathering the hilt components to make the silver really pop, but once it was polished it looked so cool in the hand shiny I decided to stop there. By the way, the silver panels are roller printed. I etch up press plates and roll then through the mill. It gives a different look than direct etching. (Plus it is quick and easy to reproduce) There is a patina on the background it's just little hard to see because of the lighting. I used liver of sulfur and then softened the highlights by burnishing.

Thanks,

Mark