Advice on kids' knives.

I'm barely dipping my toes into this craft, but both my kids (two girls, 7 1/2 and 9 1/2) were fascinated by the process of making a knife, and want me to make two for them. We had a bit of a brainstorming session for the design they want, and I managed to persuade them that they didn't want random spikes and bulges everywhere... This is what we came up with. It seems to fit their hands pretty well, and offers a couple of supported thumb positions for whittling, slicing, etc, as well as minimising the chances of their hands slipping onto the blade. Plus, it's within the scope of my limited ability and tools. Does it look okay? The thumb ramp will be more rounded in the final iteration, I suspect.

(Edit: I feel like I need to point out that it's not my fault this is so rough! But the kids are having fun and getting engaged with it, and that's good)

IMG_8264.JPG

Edited by Fergal Fleming

I like the design it seems stable for a kid. Always of course safety first. I made my daughter (she is 5) an ulu which she has had no issue using. It is really simple and efficient design and her little hands handle it well. Post your work in progress it will be nice to see. This is what I made.

eyeemfiltered1468976370581.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The design looks good. A lot like one I saw called a MS-1, or somesuch, advertising itself as the "ultimate survival knife." The addition of a choil in Austin's redesign is also a good idea, in my humble opinion.

I would add some jimping on the thumb ramp to keep little thumbs from slipping and losing control of the blade accidentally. I generally add mine with needle files at the end of the making process (after I've hardened and heat treated it, but before the final polishing. Jimping can be as simple or as decorative as you like, and some people make really creative patterns with it.

Jimping is the ridges and notches on the spine of this little guy.

15036602_1173822009377451_76249565321915