How to Know if it's Galvanized

I was given a spring form pan that would be good to use as a firepot, but I'm not sure if it's stainless or galvanized. The hinge shows signs of rust, but the pan itself is rust free. I put a magnet to it to see if there was a zinc layer that wouldn't attract it, but it stuck without any issue. However, I know this rule doesn't apply if the zinc layer isn't thick enough or if certain other galvanizing methods are used. I looked up the company name that's stamped on it (Rowoco), but they don't have this pan listed anywhere. Does anyone know a way to test this instead of just heating it up and watching for smoke?1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Ross Jones

Looks stainless, but the bigger issue is it's way too thin for use as a firepot no matter what. You need at least 1/4" thick.

You can always scuff up a spot and put warm vinegar on it. If it turns dull, bubbles, and eventually browns a bit it's galvanized.

I've heard that that's a common method, but their are no open junk yards or anything like that around me. We have something called the Trading Post, and I remember seeing an old charcoal grill in there. Fingers crossed that it still is.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I used for my first forge. Lined it with fire bricks and burned both hard wood charcoal and coal in it.

4414_1071792951044_5715105_n.jpg

Edited by Howie