Help deciding Hammer and Tong purchase

I have a minimal budget for Christmas this year. All two tongs I have now are really old and dont work all that well. I really need as close to a do all tong as possible for now and would like a hammer between 2 or 3 lbs. Obviously I will have to work up to collecting more tongs. I need something that could be used for the rest of the process after I shape the blade on the barstool. I would like some suggestions and if it could stay close to $150 or so. Thanks guys!

Hey Rod,

without offense (!), but it seems pretty common for beginners (as i am too) especially in american forums to buy tongs. As they are really easy and really really cheap to make with some practice i like to make my own tongs. Its really a nice practice. There are a lot of videos showing how to. Additionally you can take the money and buy some fancy knifemaking materials or whatever for christmas, my approach :D

A pretty universal tong i like is the "Wolfsmaulzange" ( dont know how it is called in english, kind of "wolfs muzzle tong"??)

Hey Rod,

without offense (!), but it seems pretty common for beginners (as i am too) especially in american forums to buy tongs. As they are really easy and really really cheap to make with some practice i like to make my own tongs. Its really a nice practice. There are a lot of videos showing how to. Additionally you can take the money and buy some fancy knifemaking materials or whatever for christmas, my approach :D

A pretty universal tong i like is the "Wolfsmaulzange" ( dont know how it is called in english, kind of "wolfs muzzle tong"??)

I live in Canada and i learned real quick to make my own cause we dont have alot of suppliers up here so the prices are crazy i just went on youtube to look at the techniqe.Now when i got got problems i just go to youtube then practice so save your cash makem yourself.And like Chris i dont mean to offend plus i like doin things myself and lol i dont no why i quoted Chris its early lol

I've always forged my own tongs and most other tools. I believe doing so has greatly helped me develop as a blacksmith. I will say as far as your first hammer is concerned, buy one. You've not yet developed the skills to forge a good one and a bad one will not serve you well.

Making tongs is indeed good practice and a useful skill to have. That said, if you want to buy tong for bladesmithing my favorite is the Off-Center Forge 1-inch V-box. It has one box jaw and one v-jaw and will hold flats, rounds, squares, and odd shapes very well. You can also reforge your old tongs. You are a smith, you're allowed to modify your tools!

I make bladesmithing tongs.
Also pickups and round bar tongs made to order.
The sizes I sell are 1" and 1.5"
They are $50 with shipping and I can consolidate shipping over 3 pairs.

Hand made hammers are not cheap.
I would suggest getting a 2 pound swedish pattern from Amazon, dress the face properly and modify the handle for your needs.

If you're thinking about what style for your first hammer, I prefer and recommend the German hammer* It's center balance and therefore will put less stress on your elbow. The Swedish hammers are great and really dig in, but because the weight is all forward, they can be hard on the elbow. Better in my opinion, to start with a center balance and as time goes on and you've strengthen your elbow, then move on to a forward balance.

*http://www.hammersource.com/Blacksmithing-Hammers-and-Tongs/Picard-1000-gm-2.2-lb.-DIN-1041-Machinists-Hammer-with-14-wood-handle/

I agree on making them, although I have not yet attempted it. I have been watching videos and it is my plan to do in the new year. I bought my first pair and kind of regret what I got (wolf jaw) but they work for now. I did buy a german pattern hammer and love it, it is very easy on the forearm and elbow. I'm hoping to make my next hammer a swedish or dogshead for the forward weight, still doing my research.

I've always forged my own tongs and most other tools. I believe doing so has greatly helped me develop as a blacksmith. I will say as far as your first hammer is concerned, buy one. You've not yet developed the skills to forge a good one and a bad one will not serve you well.

Why not make a project and forge ur dogshead and some tongs. For example by using some old hammer from a flee market to experiment.