I don't often post a project on here unless it is really a special one and this one I think qualifies. This is by far the largest knife I have made to date and was a custom order for my take on the historic Musso Bowie, with a couple of exceptions 1) the customer wanted fossil walrus ivory and 2) the sparring bar was to be made of damascus, which presented some notable challenges. Over all the blade is 2 3/4 inches wide and the blade is 14 inches long with the handle adding another 5 3/4 to the overall length. The sheath also had my first inlay of python skin which was interesting to work with. But I'd love to hear your thoughts as a more historic bowie is out of my normal wheel house, but it was a great learning project.

Thanks for looking!

-Robert

161208_Robert_Burns_007_zpsvla3etmq.jpg

• Like 6

Saw this on Facebook. This is my favorite thing you have made Robert. It is outstanding in every way that I could want. Hamon? Check? Bowie? Check? Some pattern welding? Check. It's a big bastard? Check... the list goes on.

• Like 1

Nice one! Looks like you could take a grown man's leg off with it, too. The pattern welded thingy on the spine is a nice touch as well B)

Thank you everyone for the kind compliments, this was certainly a challenging build and I learned a lot from it, but I am looking forward to not having to do any really big bowies again for a while. I don't know how you sword guys live with the stress of heat treating such big blades! :)

I don't remember seeing too many historical bowies that look this good :P

-and I second Johnathan's "Wow", the contrast of the dark spine and guard with the pop of the handle is really beautiful.