Thomas Kadatz

Propane Burner

Hello, I am planning on making a small propane forge probably out of a propane tank or 5 gallon bucket and I was wondering what is a good burner for me to use? I will be working in fairly cold weather. I have been looking at the t-rex burner and it is expensive. Is it worth it? what are your suggestions for a burner? Thanks

This is the guy I'm putting in the forge I'm making right now. As long as you have access to pipe fittings it should be simple and won't break the bank. Have no idea what might be better but it is functional. There are several other designs floating around on youtube and other sites, and some of the more experienced members here will no doubt weigh in.

Having just completed my first propane forge build a couple of months ago, I recommend the burner called out in the thread called "Blown burners - care and feeding" that is pinned in the tools and tool making forum.

All of the components are relatively cheap and it was very easy to put together. The only modification that I made was to add a gate valve on the air supply side to help with fine tuning my airflow. I may not have needed it if I was using a different blower, but the cheap leaf blower that I'm using doesn't leave much area for adjustment.

I don't have anything to compare it to, and I'm sure other guys have different experiences, but it has worked out well for me so far and was a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a premade one.

Alex

I wrote the core of the 'Blown Burners" thread, it's got some good info in it and you should have a look at it. I like blown burners just for the ease of use. They are cheap to make, simple and robust to run. I'm not the venturi guy, so one of those folks will have to weigh in.

The only disadvantage is, they need power to run. If you are in a place where power is an issue, then a venturi will serve you well. I do suggest you build your own, particularly as you are starting out. If you decide to go another way, you haven't sunk too much cash into starting up.

Geoff

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will try and make my own blown burner. Is there anything specific I need to know or is it pretty straight forward? and do you guys have a particular design that is your favorite or seems to work better than others?

Thanks -Thomas

If you go with a blown burner and need a blower you can look online for a used bounce house blower. I got mine from Ebay for $60 and it came ready to plug and play. The only thing that I had to do is figure out the connections and I found the parts for that down at the local Ace store.

Doug

Bounce house blowers are WAY MORE air than you need, and noisy as well. For the burner I built for the thread mentioned above the blower is about 100 CFM, and you can get by with 50 CFM if you have to. Bounce House Blowers are often rated 6 to 10 times that amount. Without redirecting most of the air, it's going to be hard to stuff enough fuel into the system to keep up. This is the fan I like. I don't know the seller or have any interest in him, but this is the fan I use.

Geoff

BTW, there are two things I like about this fan. The round flange makes for easy mounting, the metal case let's you use a magnetic intake flap to control the air.

g

Edited by Geoff Keyes

I followed Geoff's advice as closely as possible and I have to choke back my little squirrel cage blower to just a crack for normal forging heat.

Pay attention to the above mentioned thread. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks everyone, I am new to forums and I cant seem to find the "blown burners thread" you are all talking about. How would I find it?

Thanks for the kind words, Don. I worked hard to try and put some useful things in that thread. It's good to know that people appreciate it.

Geoff