• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottWright

Woodworking gone wrong on sunday (graphic images)

18 posts in this topic

So yeah today I finished up the handle on a knife, cleaned and finished it off with danish oil, and was overall very happy with the finish. I then spent the next few hours outside on the forge. When I wrapped up I decided that I would like to make a block to match the handle as a holder. I decided I wanted to do some work on the wood shaper for the block. There must have been a knot or some other imperfection because in the blink of an eye the block shot out of my hand and my hand went into the shaper. This was the end result. Nothing was left to reattach I have gel foam attached the muscle and tissue will need to grow back from the inside out. I also sheared off the bone.

Screenshot_20161218-173245.png

20161218_163356.jpg

Sorry to see that happen to anyone, and I can relate

to it as I had the end of my right pinky finger from the knuckle out

smashed to hamburger some twenty years back, took a while to relearn

my grip after having what was left removed, its surprising how much you use it .

Get healed up man.....

Edited by Clifford Brewer

Welcome to brotherhood ! I didn't lose any flesh but I have some nice scars . You can see my graphic image here on" biting the hand that feeds you" in photo forum. Hope you recover well, sorry for your injury.

I feel your pain mate... :(

Quick update, I will be going to have surgery today on my finger. There is concern over a bone infection and the tissue and skin being able to properly repair without a skin graf. Was planning on trying my hand at making tongs and a hammer in the beginning of the year but for now that will be on hold. I'll post more when I have more to tell. Wishing everyone reading a happy holiday as well!

Sorry to hear that, actually sorry to see that. My dad had an accident with a shaper at work and lost the ends of three fingers. It was a dumb mistake that he knew better than to try, a fact that he repeatedly said for weeks after the accident, he tried backing up his work because he just missed the starting point. Well I hope you do well in surgery and you heal well.

Doug

Shapers and routers are the most dangerous tools in the woodshop. My dad lost the end of his middle finger using one (insert joke) so I've always been very alert when using one. I hope you heal up well. Injuries are unfortunately part of the craft.

I hate it when the bone shows through to the outside.

On the lighter side, even if you had a piece to reattach, it would just have formed a kind of flesh bandage, rotted off and fallen away. You would still be left with a strangely shaped finger. I know this from personal experience.

Take that bone infection warning really seriously mate. Infection in the bone marrow spreads throughout the body faster than you can imagine.

Did they give you a tetanus shot?

I didn't need a tetanus shot I had received one about 10 months ago when my aon was born. Things are healing nicely today was my last day of my keflex (2000mg a day). They removed my bandage yesterday. They will give it a clean up next Thursday and pulled all the stitches.

20161228_090434.jpg

20161228_153715.jpg

Glad to see that you still have the end of that finger. I had my worries.

Doug

I just had the stitches removed this morning. Doctor said I'm good to go back to action. He says it has healed nicely. Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone. I plan on starting a thread on a new blade that I will be making from the blade that took the finger.

20170105_090257.jpg

You sure you're not part gecko? You regrew your finger pretty well! ;) Looking forward to your wip.

You are one quick healer, lets see that revenge blade soon's yer able....... B)

Edited by Clifford Brewer