A couple for my Website

Hello:

Here's two more I finished up yesterday for my website..Nothing fancy..just what I call my bacon and beans knives.. Both are welded from 1095, L-6 and a smatter of meteoric iron. Both with Bovine Ivory grips and phosphor bronze mounts.

Didn't turn out half bad if ya ask me..

JPH

DSC03472A.jpg

DSC03478A.jpg

DSC03465A.jpg

DSC03468A.jpg

Edited by JPH
  • Like 1

very classy! Whats the the trick to getting that patinaed look on your "Bovine Ivory" ?

Hello:

I cover that in book IV...man's got to keep some secrets to himself until the time is right ya know...

Not that hard to do really..just a matter of time...

JPH

You are the master, when it comes to the pattern welding. I love the way that steel looks, on both of them.

Hello:

Here's another one I finished up this evening... 1070/L6 and some meteoric iron with a bovine ivory grip..Didn't turn out half bad if ya ask me..

JPH

(Oh the infamous bone shipment arrived here in Southern Nevadan this afternoon..the material is beautiful but they fumigated it so it's airing out for a few days before I am using it...)

DSC03483A.jpg

DSC03486A.jpg

DSC03488A.jpg

I think the thing I admire most about you JPH, is the fact that you are so incredibly prolific and it does not impact the quality of the work in the very least. Your work is a standard and your put it out so quickly!

Wes:

I have been doing this for close to 5 decades...I have my own rhythm worked out and I do not waste time..When things are heating or cooling..I am doing file work/fitments..when resins are curing... I am doing forge work..very few minutes go to waste.. and when I don't have any orders to do..I weld up PW barstock for "Ladder", "Twist" or any other patterns so when I need to..I have the raw material more or less "ready" to go.

Work smart so you don't have to work hard...that is the "key".. Believe me if I can do it...ANYONE can..I am not getting any younger and if I had a wish to come true..that would be to be able to do better leather work..cause I will be the first to say that my leather working "skills" (if you can call them that) SUCKETH MIGHTILY...and that is being very, very generous.. I gotta find someone who is willing to teach an old dog face like me a few tricks (well more than a few..)..sigh..

All I can say if you want to get the stuff done..simply stop wasting time... Simple as that..

JPH

• Like 1

Wes:

I have been doing this for close to 5 decades...I have my own rhythm worked out and I do not waste time..When things are heating or cooling..I am doing file work/fitments..when resins are curing... I am doing forge work..very few minutes go to waste.. and when I don't have any orders to do..I weld up PW barstock for "Ladder", "Twist" or any other patterns so when I need to..I have the raw material more or less "ready" to go.

Work smart so you don't have to work hard...that is the "key".. Believe me if I can do it...ANYONE can..I am not getting any younger and if I had a wish to come true..that would be to be able to do better leather work..cause I will be the first to say that my leather working "skills" (if you can call them that) SUCKETH MIGHTILY...and that is being very, very generous.. I gotta find someone who is willing to teach an old dog face like me a few tricks (well more than a few..)..sigh..

All I can say if you want to get the stuff done..simply stop wasting time... Simple as that..

JPH

Good advice there. It's too bad that I sometimes consider going to work everyday to be "wasted time", that is until the Friday comes that money magically appears in my bank account! Today is one such day.

Anyway, what types of leather working skills are you wanting to learn Jim?

Carving? General shaping and sewing?

I used to do a lot of leather work a loooong time ago, and stopped for over two decades. Now I'm getting back into it and I wouldn't mind doing a WIP or tutorial here. Goodness knows I learned enough from you over the years that I could at least try and return the favor.

Just let me know what you want and I can either suggest a good book on the subject or do a quick demo. I might even video tape it........

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1

Good advice there. It's too bad that I sometimes consider going to work everyday to be "wasted time", that is until the Friday comes that money magically appears in my bank account! Today is one such day.

Anyway, what types of leather working skills are you wanting to learn Jim?

Carving? General shaping and sewing?

I used to do a lot of leather work a loooong time ago, and stopped for over two decades. Now I'm getting back into it and I wouldn't mind doing a WIP or tutorial here. Goodness knows I learned enough from you over the years that I could at least try and return the favor.

Just let me know what you want and I can either suggest a good book on the subject or do a quick demo. I might even video tape it........

Leather working tutorials are always a good thing.

Sheath construction is so varied and while there are good tutorials out there there are some things people miss.

Like distance from edge to stitch line.

Clean edges whether rounded or properly burnished.

Transitions from the back of the sheath into the belt loop flap and how it is ended whether its rounded or a dart or straight across.

Why each looks good or not.

How certain sized and shaped blades should have certain kinds of sheaths and belt attachments, whether a frog or a hanging belt loop on a ring.

The list goes on.

I was in love with the guardless dagger until I saw the guardless sword. Makes me wish I had a pocket full of money but I'm a poor pensioner who just had to buy a new car. Oh well, the last thing that I need is a couple of more blades around the house. I hope those get you plenty of beans and bacon and maybe a few rig eyes.

Doug

Hey Jim,

How does that phosphor bronze age/patina? Is it more like copper or brass (I don't really like the way brass ages, but i love working it, and it is historically accurate for a lot of the Chinese work I try to emulate).

However, if bronze that is easy to obtain was to take a more interesting patina or age better, that would be very cool. For me, age better means not just become dull yellow, but develop a spectcrum of oxide colors. I think you know what I mean. Like what you get when you flame color copper. If phosphor bronze does anything like that (how about with liver of sulphur), it would be really cool for some pieces.

Hello:

Perfesser: The phosphor bronzes that I have been using turns a deeper "gold" colour then starts to straw brown and after that I have no idea as I never let it get any worse than that. To be honest I really am not a fan of a forced patina as they just don't seem "right" when compared to one that takes time to obtain..Just my personal preference..

OK on the leather..I would like to make something that doesn't look like a 3 month old Chimp made..maybe some simple tooling accents..something along those relines would be nice...

JPH