Sign in to follow this  
J.S.Voutilainen

Puukko, yet again. This time it's for me.

I've been making knives since 2006, but I've never made one for myself. Of course there has been a "workhorse" or two, but nothing fancy. More than once this has created a problem, because I haven't had anything worth showing available. Finally I decided it was time to address this issue. This puukko is my final work as a student at Mikkeli Vocational College, Arts&Crafts. Two years of hard work to begin the process of becoming a professional knife maker.

c0tns.jpg

Blade on this one is Uddeholm Elmax Superclean high carbon stainless steel. It was made by grinding alone, not to disturb the original structure of the steel, that has been created by powder metallurgy. Heat treatment process was quite different from what I'm used to, with 3 step progression in heating. It was quenched in warm oil for a couple of seconds, and the job finished with pressurized air. After the quench the blade was cryogenically treated in liquid nitrogen, then tempered.

Blade length 9cm, 4,8 mm at the thickest point and with an edge angle of about 19 degrees. Tapers towards the tip, and has a diamond cross section typical for (forged) puukko blades.

2z5sqvs.jpg

-161,4 C after almost three hours in the box. I was tempted to try if my tongue would stick to the stainless steel tube..

Handle is antler, birch bark and sterling silver. The antler I had had a pleasing shape that I tried to preserve as much as possible. This left the handle a bit thicker than I would normally make it, but it is very comfortable still.

14jqlpk.jpg

The sheath without its decorative sterling silver fittings and coloring.

2cwwu3q.jpg

The sheath has a birch wood "last" inside to keep everything in shape

2lwp0m0.jpg

This knife was made to go with the Finnish seax I made earlier.

a25947.jpg

I will photograph them together once the light returns. Happy winter solstice everyone!

TallennaTallenna

Edited by J.S.Voutilainen
  • Like 4

That is a beautiful knife and beautiful leather to go with it. Cheers to your Graduation from school and Congrats!

Great job on that Puuko,just the right blend of the traditional and the high-tech.

Congratulations on finishing school,all the very best in that new,Professional life!:)

And yes,Happy Winter Solstice!The evil spirits are retreating,days are getting longer!(our shortest one was 3:46:30, yesterday....it's already 3:46:47 today!!!!:)

Very nice! Coming from someone who prefers thin handles, I think the grip looks great and in perfect proportion with the blade. I love the sheath as well, the color of the bronze and the leather with good clean lines and just the right amount of ornamentation, very good job.

I like this style very much. The finish is quite good, too. That will be a great knife to show people.

That is one to be proud of.

Wes,

Thank you, much appreciated!

Jake,

We'll see how things develop. A big part of that "professional" angle is that there would have to be enough people out there actually willing to pay for all the hard work :D.

High-tech meets iron age is exactly what I was after with this one.

Collin,

Thanks! Fittings on that sheath are patinated sterling silver, about 1mm thick plate. About 80g of silver went into that knife :P

Kevin,

Finish is what I have been struggling with the most. This time I actually got it pretty much how I wanted it = looking a bit worn and maybe even "old". I had to squeeze the sheath fittings in a vice, add patina several times, hit it with a hammer and twist it around to achieve what you see here. I'm trying to steer away from smooth, straight, and highly polished. It's difficult to do it in a way that does not look contrived. At least for me it is.

Thank you for the feedback!

I really like that, it just speaks. And speaks well!