grg_p

2 X 72 belt grinder

My belt grinder working on.

image.jpeg

Wow! That's some build! Love the idea of two grinders on one motor.

Would you share some details of the build? Specifically, where did you source the hardware (i.e. the pistons that provide belt tension, and the clamping hardware use to lock the work rests, etc. into place)?

Finally, I wonder about the switch placement. It appears as if you must reach over the belts to start or stop the grinder. This seems like an unnecessary safety problem. Or, is this just a trick of the photo?

Thanks,

Dave

I like the double platens on the right side too

the horizontal and vertical wok plane and contact wheel

without a change up, cool !! B)

Now that is new twist on the belt grinder!! B)

I have gone back to take another look and have a question.

Are both side running when the grinder is on, or is there a way to put the power to only one side at a time??

I like the two platens available on the right side without having to do any adjustment!! I would love to run that one for a while. I will bet you will start seeing similar grinders begin to pop up. You have some very good ideas there!!! Two thumbs up!!

Edited by C Craft

I used a 440 double wound motor so switch on right turns on rotary converter and selects 1850 or 925 rams. VFD will let me over drive or run down very low speed. I'm going to add tanks for the belts to make them wet belts as well. I drive both sides at the same time. I wanted to have coarse belt and fine so didn't have to take belts off and on all the time. I bought the gas springs on eBay 30#. He had 6 for $25.00. The clamping hardware is from marsh printers heads they'd them to adjust printing on boxes. The company that I worked for replaced heads and threw away the hardware. I like the easy adjustment that it gives and the free price. The switch is above grinder so when I add water it doesn't splash up on box. I mount is about 20" deep so it's an easy reach. I going to make a small roller for large wheel replacement.

I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have. I just starting to make knives so I'll probably going to make a lot of mistakes along the way but that's part of the fun. I try and use what I have laying around so that dictates how it was made more than anything.

Thanks for the kind words Greg

I do like the horizontal platen on the right side.

Wet belts make an unbelievable mess even at slow speeds (don't ask how I know).

I think I would almost find this contraption to be more useful, if it had a large slack belt on the left rather than the wheel.

I use my 10 inch wheel so rarely, but I use a slack belt on almost every knife at some point.

nice build, this gives more options. How many kg/pounds are the gas springs ?

Edited by Karim

thank, ab 13.6077711 kilograms, would you consider them heavy enough for your build.

I can stop the motor before it will slip.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I've used a wet belt in glass grinding for 20 plus years. Now that I don't have access to one I really miss it. I will use this for many thing. This is the one I'm working on now

image.jpeg

Started working on housing for wet belt.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow! This is really turning out to be a neat build. Please post video of the wet belt in action once you get it running!

• Like 1

Stared with this and cut out some more pieces.

image.jpeg

Tacked some parts together. Got a lot of welding to do

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Scored this anvil this week end helping a friend.

image.jpeg

I tested with spray bottle and the original top flap was to short so I had to lengthen it by welding small peice on. The door doesn't need a seal so I will run hose from bottom drain to a 5 gal jug, you need to be careful where you drain it because the grit can cause problems in drains. I will run a pump to empty later if it gets to be a problem emptying the jug. I need to finish hooking up water to shop. I need to mount spray nozzle and water line. I can use spray bottle till that is done. I like that it contains all the grinding dust. I think I will have a seperate wash down spray nozzle to clean out dust from normal grinding. I will continue to make changes as I find things I don't like. I would like to thank all the great post of grinders that gave me the ideas to start this project, not much of my design is original. I will try and take a video of it running I've never done that before so it may be harder than building the grinder.

If you use a weir system to trap the heavier grit particles you can eliminate the bulk of the drainage issues. Under sink plaster traps are one commercial example I believe, but with your fabrication skills I'm sure you will want to build your won.

I'm on well water and septic system so I will simply exit water to outside of my shop. I tried to down load video of grinder running with no success. I don't know if the video is to large or if I'm just doing it wrong. My son used the wet belt and I'm very happy with how it works. I up the speed with the VFD to 120 Hz giving me a wide range of speeds now. Need to figure what nozzle to use. I am thinking of trying water mist nozzle from Lowe's looks like a good place to start. It doesn't take much water to work well.

Impressive work, thanks for sharing it...... B)

Edited by Clifford Brewer