• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Rob Toneguzzo

For the love of dogs.

Thanks Charles. Someone elsewhere quoted what Theodor Seuss Geisel ( Dr Seuss) said ---Dont cry for what you have lost, smile for what you had.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Garry Keown said:

Dont cry for what you have lost, smile for what you had.

I think this is easier to write than to do... I am sorry for your loss Garry. 

Bruno looked like a very fine fellow, Garry. Sorry for your loss. He reminds me of our old companion, Harris. Our little Pomeranian would usually greet us cheerfully in the morning, play catch in the afternoon, chill out in his very own cool bed, and cuddle me and my wife in the evening. He is no longer with us as well, but he will always be a part of our family. I’m sure; our four-legged friends are looking down on us right now from inside the pearly gates. Bless their furry paws and heart of gold.

Edited by Dan Morrows
  • Like 1

I've had, and teamed up mine with some other great bear dogs, (various hounds and mixes) but haven't seen these guys

in action personally, I hear good stuff about their abilities though, good lookers too

I've had, and teamed up mine with some other great bear dogs, (various hounds and mixes) but haven't seen these guys

Not to be "that guy", but there are a lot of people that call their dogs "bear dogs", his actual breed is Karelian Bear Dog, a finnish breed, they have been bred for 5,000 years to hunt bear, moose and other large game. I've seen a lot of people in Alaska with "bear dogs" get mauled by bears because their dog ran the bear back at them, when you have a dog that is solely bred for hunting down bears...different story.  He's a proven one, with 4 bears under his belt and 2 moose, nothing like seeing one go one on one with an angry bear.

Yep, they are lookers, very very high energy and need constant exercise and challenges, pretty rare here in the US, I think at last count he was one of about 400 purebreds in North America.  If you have hounds and like to hunt, then you know the thrill of the dog picking up the scent and racing through the woods, it's something else, hunting with man's best friend. 

5 hours ago, Michael Bergstrom said:

If you have hounds and like to hunt, then you know the thrill of the dog picking up the scent and racing through the woods, it's something else, hunting with man's best friend. 

Aint nuthin like the sound of a pack tellin me its a hot track and they're gonna pull his ass hairs till he goes up a tree !!

My favorite breed is the Plott Hound they were bred for bear and boar outta Germany way back they're more common on the eastern side 

On 7/17/2017 at 4:45 AM, Garry Keown said:

Dont cry for what you have lost, smile for what you had.

My pure-breed Africanis :P was diagnosed with Kennel Cough 3 weeks ago, medication helped but he declined immediately when it was done.......last week they diagnosed Lymphoma, and by the looks of it extremely aggressive.  :(

He was a happy and healthy 9-year old, the best non-Labrador I've ever met, and I'm very sad watching his decline....

• Sad 2

That is the hardest part about having dogs as part of our family in that thier life span is so short and when illness shortens that even more it takes a toll on us watching the slow deteriation of what had been a happy and healthy boisterous dog. Then comes the time when we have to do the decent thing and make that hardest of decisions for them.

I feel for you during this time Gerhard

Thanks Garry, you mention the thing that's literally breaking me now, distinguishing between my feeling and what&when is best to make the call.

I managed to get some cannabis oil for him which is definitely helping, but on the flip side I'm scared it hides the pain too well and delays the inevitable....

I'm at the "I'll never have dogs again" stage now, while I still have another  soon to be very alone dog...

• Like 1

If he is pain free and he is able to maintain a modicum of normality I think it is good to be able to give him that relief. It will be clear to you as pack leader when "the time" comes and the love you have for him will help you to know whan that is.   

We made the decision never to have another dog after having that same dilema in losing Bruno the miniture Schnauzer and Tala the Rottweiler before him. They take up a bit of room on the bed but a great deal more in your heart.