[WiP] Swiss sword

Michal Plezia

Hello folks :)

I've recently started working on the swiss short sword inspired by examples from 15/16th century.

Since it survived the heat treating I decided to share it.

Before HT

swiss wip1.jpg

swiss wip2.jpg

Current state after HT (lots of hand polishing ahead :ph34r: )

swiss wip3.jpg

• Like 6

Love this! Swiss designs are something that more people seem to be exploring lately, I am very inspired by it.

Just wondering, is this a forged blade? Looks awesome either way, looking forward to seeing the hilt!

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Nice sword. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

NEME SPES, NEME METU http://zansh62.wix.com/damascusknives

www.facebook.com/MuciDamascusKnives

• 1 month later...

Those guards are so cool!

Is there an advantage to having the guard sloping away? I don't know much about fighting with swords, but usually I see them sloping towards the blade so they "catch" enemy blades. I this more of a civilian blade?

Edited by Wesley Alberson

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" -The Dude,

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rougemont_forge/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2.03.2017 at 1:55 PM, Wesley Alberson said:

Those guards are so cool!

Is there an advantage to having the guard sloping away? I don't know much about fighting with swords, but usually I see them sloping towards the blade so they "catch" enemy blades. I this more of a civilian blade?

I've never owned a sword with this style of the hilt, so I can't tell you about advantages or disadvantages. Anyway long versions of those sword were also used in military, as some iconography suggests.

DSC03600-001.JPG

DSC03601-001.JPG

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Progressing slowly...

BTW I have a question about the grip. Is it better to make it from one piece of wood or from 2 halves? I usually make grips from one piece but in this case I consider hot peening the pommel first and then gluing 2 pieces of wood.

swiss 1.jpg

• Like 3

I would go with 2 pieces wood, and inlet the wood like in the picture Michael showed. Two halves, each inlet into the guard and pushed together from the side.

The downward sweeping guard was a stylish thing on baselards, hollbein daggers, and such. The Nazi's ruined it for us for a number of years, by using that style on some of their daggers.

I am excited to see this. I love baselards (and I am worth more than a leek, too, even though I don't carry one).

• Like 1

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Looking good! Personally, I would probably make it from one piece, but the two halves method is completely valid as well. A lot of people do that when they're going to leather wrap the grip. 

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 9:54 AM, peter johnsson said:

Looking good! About the grip: The ones I have seen in reality have always had wood grips that were slipped on, not made by sandwich method.
Looking forward to seeing the end result!

So it is decided :) Thanks for the advice guys. 

2017-04-14 11.01.50.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice! This is shaping up to be an awesome sword B)