Michal Plezia

[WiP] Swiss sword

Hello folks :)

I've recently started working on the swiss short sword inspired by examples from 15/16th century.

Since it survived the heat treating I decided to share it.

Before HT

swiss wip1.jpg

swiss wip2.jpg

Current state after HT (lots of hand polishing ahead :ph34r: )

swiss wip3.jpg

• Like 6

I like the hilt you have drawn for it, not many people are making those now! Ought to be a wicked fast little thing...

Love this! Swiss designs are something that more people seem to be exploring lately, I am very inspired by it.

Just wondering, is this a forged blade? Looks awesome either way, looking forward to seeing the hilt!

Nice sword. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

I like :)

I do suggest you make the end piece a bit smaller though, it will improve the handling significantly. That wide and inwards curving it will restrict the hand positions very noticeably.

@Collin the blade was made by stock removal. The only forging was done to straighten the blank.

@Lukas you are right. I plan to change the handle design to become more like this:

601c30473c2e66030d21562fbebbe212.jpg

I've done some cleaning after HT. I've also redesigned the handle. I have a crossguard roughly forged already. The picture does not show the current state but at least you can see the handle design.

DSC03563 (2).JPG

• Like 3

I am eagerly watching your progress.  It's looking great :)

Those guards are so cool!

Is there an advantage to having the guard sloping away? I don't know much about fighting with swords, but usually I see them sloping towards the blade so they "catch" enemy blades. I this more of a civilian blade?

Edited by Wesley Alberson

On 2.03.2017 at 1:55 PM, Wesley Alberson said:

Those guards are so cool!

Is there an advantage to having the guard sloping away? I don't know much about fighting with swords, but usually I see them sloping towards the blade so they "catch" enemy blades. I this more of a civilian blade?

I've never owned a sword with this style of the hilt, so I can't tell you about advantages or disadvantages. Anyway long versions of those sword were also used in military, as some iconography suggests.

DSC03600-001.JPG

DSC03601-001.JPG

• Like 2

Progressing slowly...

BTW I have a question about the grip. Is it better to make it from one piece of wood or from 2 halves? I usually make grips from one piece but in this case I consider hot peening the pommel first and then gluing 2 pieces of wood.

swiss 1.jpg

• Like 3

I would go with 2 pieces wood, and inlet the wood like in the picture Michael showed. Two halves, each inlet into the guard and pushed together from the side.

The downward sweeping guard was a stylish thing on baselards, hollbein daggers, and such. The Nazi's ruined it for us for a number of years, by using that style on some of their daggers.

I am excited to see this. I love baselards (and I am worth more than a leek, too, even though I don't carry one).

• Like 1

Looking good! Personally, I would probably make it from one piece, but the two halves method is completely valid as well. A lot of people do that when they're going to leather wrap the grip. 

Looks good, keep at it... :)

Looking good! About the grip: The ones I have seen in reality have always had wood grips that were slipped on, not made by sandwich method.
Looking forward to seeing the end result!

• Like 1

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 9:54 AM, peter johnsson said:

Looking good! About the grip: The ones I have seen in reality have always had wood grips that were slipped on, not made by sandwich method.
Looking forward to seeing the end result!

So it is decided :) Thanks for the advice guys. 

2017-04-14 11.01.50.jpg

• Like 1

Good choice on going with the single piece handle. I did mine the same way, worked just fine.

Also, nice heart :D

• Like 1

On 15.04.2017 at 7:38 PM, Lukas MG said:

Good choice on going with the single piece handle. I did mine the same way, worked just fine.

Also, nice heart :D

Exactly this happens when your little daughter enters the workshop ;)

Looking good. Bit too advanced for me ATM lol once I get these knives coming out how I want every time I might move onto something similar to this. Great inspiration for me. Thank you for sharing.

It looks good! What is left? It looks like all you have to do is contour and finish the handle, peen it on, and sharpen the blade.

Looking clean! I love those lines

Nice! This is shaping up to be an awesome sword B)

Very nice! That blade has some crisp lines, looks great.

Look schweet - nearly there?