Your best of 2016

A couple of good kuks, a hard-use version in 80crv2 for a friend... and a fancier one in pattern weld.

14359148_1128173727258702_34090993161289

15966241_1239524122790328_42480404619987

A pair of integral hunters, in tiled out w's with w's bolsters forged on.
13620874_1065652746844134_79953148296670

Lastly, a couple pics of this whacko short sword I made in January 2016. Four bars, merovingian style twist cores with CruForgeV edge bars. The handle is all forge welded and basket twisted 1018, with bronze collars and finial nut.

13319688_1061832547225143_8948199907442013256386_1061832380558493_64497538403262

13335978_1061832897225108_83068738471430

• Like 1

great topic, matt, and stunning work so far! i submit my humble additions. these are significant to me for the following reasons:

BSF_chef_paring.jpg

this chef knife i made at the beginning of the year, sold in the middle of the year, and i made the matching paring knife for the customer at the end of the year. the blades are W2, and the paring knife is the first time i have tried to make an integral bolster of any kind.

BSF_coop_spake_maumasi.jpg

i was honored to make a knife in collaboration with mareko maumasi this summer. he's been a great friend and mentor since i met him, and i was floored when a bar of his steel showed up in the mail one day with a note asking me to make something cool with it. i did my best! the overall design of this knife was greatly influenced by the work of russian maker vitaly bedrik. if you are not familiar with his work, you should definitely look him up! also, this was the first, and only time i've had my work professionally photographed, and coop did a fantastic job!

BSF_puukkos.jpg

these two are fairly basic little utility knives, but they were special for two reasons. i'm not very confident with my grinding skills, and i usually hand finish all of my blades as a result. these two had machine finished blades that i was happy with for a change, so that was kind of a triumph. also, i had never made curved sections/spacers before, and i think that birch/antler handle turned out pretty cool for a first attempt.

BSF_wootz_bone_comp.jpg

this was a fun build that has been in the works since 2015, so i was pleased to get it completed. the blade is made from wootz/crucible steel that i made in class with ric furrer a while back, and this is also my first time doing a stacked guard and spacer with museum fit. i really liked working with the stellar's sea cow rib handle as well. (hat tip to gerhard wieland)

BSF_TWs.jpg

and here again we come full circle. i made several knives in the style of tappio wirkkala's famous hackman knife this year. the koa and stainless bolstered one was probably my favorite knife, but the micarta and brass one that i just completed was a really fun package to tackle. the customer wanted a hexagonal marlin spike and sheath that would hold both it and the knife. it took me a bit of time to figure out how to execute it, but i am really happy with the result.

(btw, salem, next year's thread will include a knife i'm making with some ladder bar that you sent my way!)

thanks for looking, can't wait to see what else pops up below.

Edited by jeremy spake
  • Like 1

Now for my total newbish attempts.

20160726_221346.jpg

Made this one at the beginning of the year, had a couple good successes with this one. I was a bit nervous on the bevel, but was able to keep it nice and even on both sides, the handle was a bit fun to work on, not exactly happy with the epoxy seepage in the pins but my girlfriends uncle bought this one to take hunting and loved it.

20160815_171847.jpg

Still have this one floating around, I pick it up from time to time and am still shocked, This was my second knife over 6 inches long ( first being my KITH knife ) and my first attempt at a mirror polish, which turned out a lot better then I had expected. Also was able to solve the epoxy seepage issue I had on the knife above on this one.

20160707_230300.jpg

My " Emergency " Kith knife. this was the second blade I forged for the KITH, as the first one developed a crack and was easily broken, I was able to get it from raw stock, to assembled in about 2 weeks, What I am most proud of, is that I was able to forge enough of it close to the original blade, that I was able to use all of the original blade hardware on it, It also has my very first ever pieces of pattern welded steel on it for the guard and butt cap.

20161201_191859.jpg

My Christmas Kith knife, I had this one most of the way done when the whole conversation of the Christmas KITH came up, It was my first attempt at a Acid etched stonewash finish, which was a bit of a throwback for me, because I normally shape the handle scales after the epoxy process, so I had to work out how to shape them, ended up having to redo the finish on the spine of the handle, which caused me to realize I should temp stick them before the etch the next time around.

All in all, some of my best work, and I can see in the ones I am currently work on now, that I am learning from my mistakes even if its slow going.

• Like 1

Robert: Great start in the craft! Way to jump into it.

It only gets more fun and more satisfying as you progress.

I highly recommend asking for feedback on your stuff when you post in the future (this isn't the thread for it, of course.) I have learned a tremendous amount on this forum receiving critiques from other members.

Luck in the quest!

Dave

• Like 1

Really nice work everyone! George, I love that multibar stuff you do, and you're always pushing farther!

Ugh Jeremy, those knives are so CLEAN! That one with Mareko steel is a serious showstopper. The handle scheme is dynamite.

Joshua, dude your stuff looks killer. I went overboard probably posting all this junk here, certainly it's not all the knives I made in 2016, just representations of directions my fancier efforts went in last year. I tried a bunch of new stuff for me.

Matt and Dave, those swords are gorgeous! I get to make a long blade now and then, but sure would like to be doing it more...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Wow, I'm not sure I should even post anything among all the fantastic work from you all...

I just got started last year, so not much to choose from. That said, I think my best from 2016 would be this pair:

AS13%20%20AS14%201_zpsmzh7uzoo.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

These are my top three:

A huge learning experience for me from last February is the La Brea Bowie:

160218_Robert_Burns_005_zps9ugobgks.jpg

One of my personal favorites, a damascus san mai bowie with desert ironwood:

161219_Robert_Burns_008_zpslpbk4tnv.jpg

And another very challenging build with the Musso Bowie:

161208_Robert_Burns_007_zpsvla3etmq.jpg

Edited by Robert Burns
On January 5, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Connor J. Myers-Norton said:

Let's drop that bar down a fair bit more. I've made a few this year and have quite a few more in the works but these were my favorites

lets drop the bar even more!

i just got my own setup in the beginning of 2016 so not much to show, but heres my favoriteDSCN1259.JPG

Well, this is nowhere near the league you guys are in, but it's my best knife of the year, and the best of the seven knives I've made so far I think. 1084/15n20 Damascus, handle is curly maple and African Blackwood with brass bolster and spacer. 12" overall. 

large.fullsizeoutput_f2c.jpeg

Dang Robert, you slay me. Those are astounding.

Simonet, that's a nice little bushcrafter. Jason Mc, those are sweet looking full tang models.

JH, this is the "best of 2016" thread..........just sayin'.

2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

JH, this is the "best of 2016" thread..........just sayin'.

Oops! I guess I did finish that one this year. But I started it last year!