Anthony Reid

Red Beard Forge makers marks

I have started using a new makers mark on my work It consists of a hebrew dalet with a stylized bird forming an A in the negative space off the back of the dalet here is a picture of the mark on a recently completed knife. I also from time to time use the initials RBF as well as A. Reid, Knifemaker and Red Beard Forge Knife and Tool usually in combination with the aforementioned logo. Most of my past work was hand signed on the blade A. Reid and or RBF. My very earliest forged knives had -R- stamped on them in an angular runic style cut with a chisel

makersmark2.JPG

Marks like that are unique but can't tell you how many that I have seen asked about, "does anyone know who this mark is"????

The idea behind a makers mark is too let folks know who you are, if you want repeat business that is!!!

I could only name a few makers that I know by a mark and remember who it is when I see the piece, without a name on it! There only two makers that maybe three that I can recognize their work without ever looking at a mark! The majority of us will never reach that level of recognition!!!

I use my first Initial and last name. If the piece offers room then I go for C Craft over Milton, Fl. In today's world if you have a name and ask Google for knife maker and the name,..................... There is a real good chance you can pull it up and throw in the city/state and you usually have it!!

Most all of us go thru the great mark idea, and then someone says something about using the name and the rest is ............... !

I did think about that ahead of time I actually had a post in the fit and finish forum on exactly that I ended up going with this symbol because A) I don't think repeat business really depends on the mark the customer who buy my knives know who they are dealing with and tell their friends as well B ) I typically also include RBF and or my name along with the logo both of which immediately lead to me via google and C) I include info sheets and certificates of authenticity with my knives which helps with your concerns as well but mostly I just don't worry about it as the odds of one of my knives turning up with no story at all about where it came from are pretty slim but like everything its a work in progress

In the end I hope to aid people in recognising my mark by sharing it here and elsewhere ... The more places it can be seen the more likely it is SOMEONE will recognize it. It may just be me but I usually recognize a maker more by his or her distinctive style than by mark and I know at least 20 small makers by their marks

Edited by Anthony Reid

i got contacted after a knife passed hands to the point it was sold at a garage sale guy contacted me from google of my company name on the blade and i got to reminisce on it a bit felt good

i don't currently mark my blades at all

Neat idea, and please don't take this the wrong way, but when I look at that mark the first thing I think of is that is must be "T-bird knives..." ;)

• Like 1