Some recent damascus jewelry...

J.Arthur Loose

Well, I do have one blade in the works, but have been upping the damascus ring game of late... The first is a really nice marquise diamond engagement set lined & set in 14K white gold and the second was really fun. It was a customer's old family 18 & 24K gold rings, which I removed the diamonds from, melted down, and made into new rings with stainless damascus insets.

diamond.marquise.damascus.engagement.set

diamond.gold.damascus.ring.jpg

• Like 6

Holy cow Jul!

Upping the game indeed. Those are stunning.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Dayumn !!!......... :o

If ya can't be good don't git caught  !!                                        People who say stuff can't be done need to

git the hell outta the way of people who do stuff   !!!

Show me a man who is called an expert by his peers         

And I will show you a good man to listen to ......

Show me a man who calls himself an expert

and I will show you an egotistical asshole...............!!

Man, a lot of people have gotten into pattern welded jewelry, but none of it holds a candle. Fantastic work.

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Very fine indeed

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

I have played with enough jewelry making to appreciate the intricacy and difficulty of those. I am really impressed. Some times I think I may take advantage of my ability to take university courses for free to take some of the metals lab classes. Not get a whole MFA, just take a few lab classes.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Beautiful! Having tried a primitive version of this, I'm stunned by the perfectly straight and utterly seamless border between the gold and the damascus. That's some serious craftsmanship.

Thanks everyone. :)

Johnathan- by set the bezels do you mean the stone itself? That's a matter of gently compressing the edge around the stone. If you mean how is it set into the damascus, then that is a little complicated. I use straight or tapered tube bezels, and drill a hole into the ring once it's assembled. If it's a straight bezel the hole must be a tight fit for the bezel, if it's a tapered bezel I go in with a matching taper cutting bur and match the taper so the bezel sits at the right height. Then they are soldered in place, in this case with matching gold high temperature jeweler's solder. Then it is carefully cleaned up and polished before etching. If there's any solder overflow it really shows up when you etch!

Kevin- You should do it!

Thanks Matthew. The secret is a really tight fit to all the parts and color matching solder. The whole ring is fused solid, unlike a lot of lined damascus rings that are press-fit. Eventually, moisture will get into the crevices and can even cause problems like galvanic reactions with stainless steels under the right circumstances.

Very nice! The wife and I are still digging the wedding bands you made for us very much. I have noticed that hers will grab and pull my beard stubble when she rubs my face after a few days off from shaving. Whiskers have to be just the right length for it to grab tho. :-)

Edited by HSJackson

Very nice! The wife and I are still digging the wedding bands you made for us very much. I have noticed that hers will grab and pull my beard stubble when she rubs my face after a few days off from shaving. Whiskers have to be just the right length for it to grab tho. :-)

You could send it to me and I could buff the ring to smooth out the etching- every now and then an undercut bit of the damascus will catch things like hairs. I always check for that, but maybe my stubble wasn't the right length. ;) Anyway, a quick buffing with a medium polishing compound takes care of it.

Amazing. Someday I'd like to have a go at making some rings. Looks like a lot of fun.