Need Some Help Deciding on A Grinder

Snow plowing has been good to me this year so I find myself in a position where I'm able to purchase a real belt grinder. I have various cheaper ones from the big box stores but I want to move to one forcused on knife making. I'm trying to choose between a KMG and a B3. I don't have 220 wired in my shop yet and definitely want to go with variable speed model but that's in the plans soon. I'm a little concerned that I'll buy one and the smack my forehead for missing some minor detail. Both grinders seem to have the ability run 110/220 with just a wiring change. As far as performance though, I've never used either so would like some input. I'd like to build my own but this whole full time job thing makes think just getting something already tried and true will be a more efficient use of the time I have to devote to making knives.

Have you seen Northridge tools grinder?

The pack they offer is pretty rad and it seems like an awesome machine ! I bought a kmg and it's cool but I would love some of the options they provide.

Check it out you might be surprised.

Check out the DVD Build a Moe's Grinder at the Grinders page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com and build your own and save a lot of money.

If you don't want to build your own grinder check out the Motors and VFDs page.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

That Northridge is pretty sweet and looks a bit cheaper. Platen rest seems a little weak and not sure how I feel about the gas shocks but hey I'm not doing this professionally. It's a bit of a monstrous hobby.

Edited by Charlie Meek

i have a 5 year old KMG that i like much better since recently converting it to direct drive, and an outlaw 2 (http://www.outlawwaterjetdesign.com/grinders.html) that i would recommend to anyone. all of my attachments can be used on either grinder because the tool arm is the same size. good luck, you will love any of the grinders mentioned on the thread so far.

Just ordered a Northridge yesterday and should have it next week. Thanks, Geoff Hardy, for the great suggestion. George was really helpful in making the decision as well. I'll be buying more stuff from these cats for sure. Can't wait to give it a go.

• Like 1

Yeah I think you made the right choice their package is really nice especially that pro package.

I would like to know if that rat arm is compatible with a kmg

Digging the grinder. I was at the top of my budget with the standard package so I didn't get the RAT attachment but the grinder does everything I need it to do so far.

IMG_1085.JPG