• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
ScottWright

HSS in blade

So I am going to be making my revenge knife incorporating the blade that took part of my finger. I don't know what the qualities of high speed steel really are. I was thinking of cutting it and welding a billet with some 1095 but wasn't sure if maybe a san mai design would be better suited for the steel. Any help as always is greatly appreciated thanks.

The properties of hss probably won't allow you to forge weld it to anything, much less forge it in general. From what I hear, it likes to crumble while being forged. :(

Forging HSS is an outright bitch, the heat window to forge it is tighter

than a cats ass with it's nards caught in a no. 2 victor trap, but if you figger it out let me know .... ;)

Is stock removal a viable process for it or will the hardness be more trouble than it is worth?

When you buy hss it mostly will be delivered in annealed state, easy to file and grind.

Planer blades are usually D2 rather than HSS, so stock removal is a viable thing. It will be tough to grind, and keep it cool!

If you can't forge it into your blade, as an option you could always inlay pieces of it into your handle.

Planer blades are usually D2 rather than HSS, so stock removal is a viable thing. It will be tough to grind, and keep it cool!

I've also heard of 440 (who knows which grade) and even A2 being used on some imports.

Good old (hard!) mystery steel it is! Whatever it is, stock removal and keeping it cool will yield a decent blade, given the application it was used for to begin with.

I have been mulling it over and may make a draw with it. Trying to figure which would be the nicest cleanest way to weld the handles on first

Welding is a bad idea unless you are very experienced with that sort of electric welding. High-alloy high carbon steels really don't like it.