• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
tjk

Is this a good anvil?

9 posts in this topic

This anvil is one that is sitting at my grandpas farm, unfortunately these are the only pictures I have of it right now. Could any of you guys tell me if it is decent quality? or what make it is? I hit it with a hammer and it seems to have a good bounce but then again it is the only one I have ever tested. :) Thanks

-Thomas

That's a Vulcan. Cast iron with a steel face, so ir won't ring. If the edges aren't too awfully dinged it'll be a fine anvil. The weight will ba cast on the left front foot. It's in tens of pounds, so if it says "10" it's 100 lbs, 8=80, etc. Great find!

I think we should ask Alan to host a "Does your anvil suck?" thread. Everybody post up what you got, and he tells us if it's worthy or not.

:ph34r:

:lol:

1 person likes this

I think we should ask Alan to host a "Does your anvil suck?" thread. Everybody post up what you got, and he tells us if it's worthy or not.

:ph34r:

:lol:

Love this idea. You could say his opinion carries a lot of... weight

Edited by Caleb Harris

Thanks Alan, :) HaHa Great idea for a new thread. That would be a popular one.

I am not the arbiter of anvilness! :lol: I like 'em all, except for the anvil-shaped objects. The only thing you've got to watch for on Vulcans is that the top plate is thinner than some and thus prone to chipping on the edges if misused. That can be said for a lot of others, though.

Never forget, the anvil does not make the smith. It's just a (very important!) tool.

Chris just suggests this because he knows I lust after his hornless colonial anvils. ;)

I am not the arbiter of anvilness! :lol: I like 'em all, except for the anvil-shaped objects. The only thing you've got to watch for on Vulcans is that the top plate is thinner than some and thus prone to chipping on the edges if misused. That can be said for a lot of others, though.

Never forget, the anvil does not make the smith. It's just a (very important!) tool.

Chris just suggests this because he knows I lust after his hornless colonial anvils. ;)

All 3 now, plus my big press die anvil I got from Larry.

I have been using an anvil that looks just like that one for ten years, but it has no identifying marks

on it, the rebound is decent and I don't have ear ringing after long use.

would I like a bigger one , Hell yes, but this one does everything I ask it to.......... B)