Brian Dougherty

KITH 2017 Kitchen Knife >6" Blade Any Material

K I'll have it out as soon as I get back in town. Talk to you all in a month! 

Unfortunately, I will need to drop out for this year's KITH. Too many projects going on...:(

I decarbed my blade in heat treat and don't have time to make a new one.  Here's the list with my name withdrawn.

1. Brian Dougherty

2. Timothy Artymko
3. Doug Crawford
4. JJ Simon
5. Scott Wright
6. Wesley Alberson
7. Robert Dowse
8. Kevin Hopkins
9. George Ezell
10. Michael Lenaghan
11. Dan Bourlotos
12. Aiden Carley-Clopton
13. Mike Andriacco
14. Emiliano Carrillo
15. Francesco Muci
16. Juho Voutilainen
17. Pieter-Paul Derks
18. James Fuller

19. John Page

20. Nate Runals

21. Scott Cruse

Oops!

Right hand, #5 metacarpal bone broken. Estimated recovery time at least 8 weeks. The blade is forged and heat treated, but, I have no idea when I can get back to it. My apologies, gentlemen!

Should I withdraw or..?

I have mine done 

On 6/24/2017 at 4:16 AM, J.S.Voutilainen said:

Oops!

Right hand, #5 metacarpal bone broken. Estimated recovery time at least 8 weeks. The blade is forged and heat treated, but, I have no idea when I can get back to it. My apologies, gentlemen!

Should I withdraw or..?

Man, that is a bummer.  I hope it heals well for you!

The group will have to decide if you should withdraw or not, but I would be happy to trade places with whomever draws your knife and wait until you can finish it.

On 6/24/2017 at 4:16 AM, J.S.Voutilainen said:

Oops!

Should I withdraw or..?

We have voted before to extend the whole KITH up to 8 weeks before. I see no issue with just letting you finish sometimes before the end of the year. 

I just have fun with the KITH every year, and as such, dont really care about due dates. 

I'm fairly new to this particular board...can someone please tell me what the rules are for this annual kith competition...

Thanks from the newbie land

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

I'm fairly new to this particular board...can someone please tell me what the rules are for this annual kith competition...

Thanks from the newbie land

Loosely speaking: A group decides on a theme for a knife around the first of the year.  Anyone who wants to makes a knife fitting the theme by the deadline, (which has been around June 30th the last few years) puts their name on the list.  On the agreed upon date, those who managed to finish their knives throw their names in a hat.  One of the admins pulls out names, and you find out who you send your knife to, and who's knife you will receive.

It's all done for fun.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dan Bourlotos said:

We have voted before to extend the whole KITH up to 8 weeks before. I see no issue with just letting you finish sometimes before the end of the year. 

I just have fun with the KITH every year, and as such, dont really care about due dates. 

I will suggest that we keep the drawing on the 30th, but allow Mr. Voutilainen time for his hand to heal so he can finish his entry.  If the person who draws JS's knife doesn't want to wait, I'll happily trade places with them.  It is the least I can do for the man who taught me how to forge a puukko, but I bet there are many here who feel the same way.

Doing it this way will allow all of us to get the knives shipped off so they aren't sitting around for two more months.  That being said, I am not at all insistent on this.  Does anyone else want to put forward a suggestion?

• Like 1

That sounds good to me Brian.  This might be a good time to ask, does anyone need an extension to the deadline?

i must say this kith is low on progress, maybe it is a good idea to extend the deadline.

16 hours ago, Karim said:

i must say this kith is low on progress, maybe it is a good idea to extend the deadline.

I will have mine ready (I have had quite a tragic and busy spring), but again, I don't exactly care about an extension.

It is usual for most people to not submit photos until the the closing few days, but I agree, we do have a pretty big turn out this year and it would be a shame if a lot of people had to drop out at the last minute because we didnt talk first. 

I think I should be able to finish in time, as my knife is forged. However, if more people need an extension, that would work for me too...

Sadly an extension would work for me. I like Francesco have it forged but will probably not have the time to finish before Friday. Trying my best though.

Holy moly, i totally remembered it wrong! I thought it was for July 30th instead it's for June! I definitively need an extension! Sorry guys, I promise next time i will pay more attention!

Edited by Francesco Muci

It sounds like an extension is in order.  End of August?  That would give JS time for his busted hand to heal up.

That will work for me. Let's see if JS thinks!

I like the idea of an extension as well.  Hopefully I can make a new blade a throw my name back in.

• Like 1

I could finish mine with a weeks extension, its forged to shape, clean of scale, just needs some fine tuning before heat treat. My new child rotation has wrecked havoc on my work schedules 

• Like 1

I'm heading out of town tomorrow for a week, and will have limited forum access.  Before I leave, I'll suggest we set the new (and final) deadline to August 31st.  You all can decide if that is OK, and I'll catch up when I get back in town.

I'm good either way. It's basically done so I can send it or wait. Let me know what you decide.