Hoy's Forge

The Don's Dagger

Just completed this piece for a Mexican gentleman who wanted to honor his father and their spanish heritage. 5160 blade, ebony handle, engraved brass fittings .

thanks for viewing!

DSC09091.JPG

DSC09090.JPG

DSC09089.JPG

DSC09088.JPG

DSC09087.JPG

DSC09086.JPG

DSC09085.JPG

DSC09084.JPG

DSC09083.JPG

• Like 1

That engraving is excellent, man. Nice work.

Great work Hoy.

An honor indeed.

Cool stuff Hoy..... B)

Knocked it out of the park Hoy! I am sure his father will be honored!!

OK I have to ask.

Your work seems to have jumped a level in quality and detail recently. Quite honestly, your last few pieces are in a whole different league from where you were about 6 months to a year ago. You have been churning out some serious head turners lately.

Anything happen that you could say was the catalyst? Any major event or book or relationship that you think gave you the extra push?

I mean, other than almost cutting your hand off with the chop saw........ :wacko:

Edited by Joshua States

Joshua

I have traveled almost fulltime for the past 10 years preaching and singing with my family. I have 2 daughters and a son.Five years ago my oldest girl married and we reconfigured our band. Three years ago the middle daughter married. She and her husband eventually went on the road with us. Her husband Chris Davis has an online leather business which was doing real well untill last summer when it tanked and forced him to get a "real" job on the niteshift at a local grocery store. And of course in October My son married into another musical family.....betcha can't guess who he's playing for now LOL. Momma has had some health issues , so other than local preaching appointments I am now at home. Also I have reconfigured what was once my sons bedroom into my engraving, drawing, silversmithing, leatherwork studio. So I can go in and work all night when Im fixated on a new project. I also was gifted with a small sum of money that allowed me to purchase a few extra tools and such. Short answer is I have more time available , I can almost justify it when I'm getting paid for it ..but as I'm sure you know the true expense in time materials and wear on tools, belts , buffers compound ect. is never realised in the price we get for out creations. And I am truly much more respectful of that crafty chop saw, almost nervous.LOL

Well then.

The time and effort is something that cannot be replaced or purchased. It shows in your work.

One door closes and a window opens.

• Like 1

Great stuff Ron, love that spiral handle.

I keep coming back to look at this. There is something about that ebony handle that makes it so I can't take my eyes off of it. Nicely done :)

Rob& Brian........I done the initial shape by turning it on the drill press. I rigged a jig along with some all thread. Chuck it up presto! Use a rough rasp to round it out then finish with 100 grt paper. Wrapped it in masking tape and traced the lines to get the spiral. Then used a tapered barrel dremel bit to cut the initial grooves, then spent a long night with small files and sandpaper. It was worth the effort I'd like to do one in Ivory..... ha ha ha maybe paper micartaLOL