which steels pair well for damascus?

ethanknott

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:39 AM, Aldo said:

Caleb, the W-2 and 15T of 1084 will be delivered to the Connecticut warehouse a few days after the 14th of March. We need to pull it and get it all cut. It's looking like the last week in March is a safe bet.

Al!, as for thicker 15N20 the mill can roll it as thick as 3/8". I've always though that it would be an excellent sword and large knife steel. We have it to 1/8 and I was considering 1/4".

What do you all think? 

YES!  I love 15n20, it is a great steel for big knives.  Little ones too!  1/4" is great, and 3/8" would be a very nice option to have.

On March 1, 2017 at 4:39 AM, Aldo said:

Caleb, the W-2 and 15T of 1084 will be delivered to the Connecticut warehouse a few days after the 14th of March. We need to pull it and get it all cut. It's looking like the last week in March is a safe bet.

Oh really? Thanks. The tracking number seems to think it's coming in today- https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/?action=track&tracknumbers=611541849478&clienttype=ivshpalrt 

Trying to make each knife just a little better than the last

On 3/1/2017 at 6:39 AM, Aldo said:

Al!, as for thicker 15N20 the mill can roll it as thick as 3/8". I've always though that it would be an excellent sword and large knife steel. We have it to 1/8 and I was considering 1/4".

What do you all think? 

I was going to buy some more 15n20 soon anyway. If I could get some in 1/4" That would be awesome! I love that stuff.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

My metal came in yesterday, went into tye forge immediately, and i made my first sucessful little piece of test damascus :)

Also, is there any kind of mathematical formula or something to figure how many pieces it takes to get a certain size billet? And, is there an easy, math-free way? Not a fan of math XD

Also, is there any kind of mathematical formula or something to figure how many pieces it takes to get a certain size billet? And, is there an easy, math-free way? Not a fan of math XD

Hi Ethan

I stumbled across this a couple of weeks ago but haven't checked it out myself (no-where near ready for damascus yet). Hope it helps.

Charles 

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos qui libertate donati nescimus quid constat

On 3/1/2017 at 6:39 AM, Aldo said:

What do you all think? 

I for one would be delighted to have 1/4" or even 3/8" 15n20, I too think it would be an excellent steel for a chopper.

Do it......:)

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook