which steels pair well for damascus?

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:39 AM, Aldo said:

Caleb, the W-2 and 15T of 1084 will be delivered to the Connecticut warehouse a few days after the 14th of March. We need to pull it and get it all cut. It's looking like the last week in March is a safe bet.

Al!, as for thicker 15N20 the mill can roll it as thick as 3/8". I've always though that it would be an excellent sword and large knife steel. We have it to 1/8 and I was considering 1/4".

What do you all think? 

YES!  I love 15n20, it is a great steel for big knives.  Little ones too!  1/4" is great, and 3/8" would be a very nice option to have.

On March 1, 2017 at 4:39 AM, Aldo said:

Caleb, the W-2 and 15T of 1084 will be delivered to the Connecticut warehouse a few days after the 14th of March. We need to pull it and get it all cut. It's looking like the last week in March is a safe bet.

Oh really? Thanks. The tracking number seems to think it's coming in today- https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/?action=track&tracknumbers=611541849478&clienttype=ivshpalrt 

On 3/1/2017 at 6:39 AM, Aldo said:

Al!, as for thicker 15N20 the mill can roll it as thick as 3/8". I've always though that it would be an excellent sword and large knife steel. We have it to 1/8 and I was considering 1/4".

What do you all think? 

I was going to buy some more 15n20 soon anyway. If I could get some in 1/4" That would be awesome! I love that stuff.

My metal came in yesterday, went into tye forge immediately, and i made my first sucessful little piece of test damascus :)

Also, is there any kind of mathematical formula or something to figure how many pieces it takes to get a certain size billet? And, is there an easy, math-free way? Not a fan of math XD

Also, is there any kind of mathematical formula or something to figure how many pieces it takes to get a certain size billet? And, is there an easy, math-free way? Not a fan of math XD

Hi Ethan

I stumbled across this a couple of weeks ago but haven't checked it out myself (no-where near ready for damascus yet). Hope it helps.

Charles 

On 3/1/2017 at 6:39 AM, Aldo said:

What do you all think? 

I for one would be delighted to have 1/4" or even 3/8" 15n20, I too think it would be an excellent steel for a chopper.

Do it......:)