A trip down memory lane,

I am sure most people here can relate with this... I find that no matter where I go in the world sooner or later I have to set up a forge if for no other reason than to maintain my sanity. Last night I was sorting through pictures on the computer and found pictures from my time in Uganda I had set up a primitive forge using found materials and very basic tools from the local market. I had a 1lb hammer, a couple files one of which I used for raw material, a pair of channel lock pliers and a rock for an anvil. The forge was just a trench in the ground with brick and rock along the sides to contain the charcoal, the air pipe was another smaller trench I covered with flat rocks and dirt to seal it and the bellows was a simple bag bellows made from a sack that had contained rice or something like that. I just thought I would share here because I think you guys will "get it" and as proof that it is possible to make useful tools with almost nothing in the way of money or tools. I have attached pictures of the set up. At one point I went in the house to get a drink of water and when I came back out one of the neighbor children was pumping the bellows so from then on I had a helper to keep the air going while I worked the fire. these pictures were taken in 2009 when I was a 19 yr old newlywed man does time fly!anthonyugandaforge.JPGforge.JPGrockanvil.JPGhelper2.JPG

• Like 2

Very cool.

I dare another beginner to say "I want to get started, but I just can't afford the equipment".

Its true I think people should do what makes them happy but I have never understood the attitude of people who feel the need to buy everything for me blacksmithing and knives have always been about making it myself everything from my forge to my belt grinder and everything in between is made by me and usually from scrap nobody else wanted.

Edited by Anthony Reid
  • Like 1

Its true I think people should do what makes them happy but I have never understood the attitude of people who feel the need to buy everything for me blacksmithing and knives have always been about making it myself everything from my forge to my belt grinder and everything in between is made by me and usually from scrap nobody else wanted.

I applaud you, truly I do. It is a fantastic trait to have and the pics are wonderful.

However, sometimes it isn't about feeling the need to buy everything, it's more about having the ability to do so, and choosing to do so, rather than spending the time making it.

I made my forge and a few tools and jigs, but I have never made a pair of tongs and probably won't any time in the near future. For some of us it's more about having limited time to do stuff and weighing the expense of buying against the time needed to make it ourselves. For instance, I didn't make my grinder, even though I had the ability and the other equipment necessary to do it. I chose to spend the money rather than spend the time. Learning how to build a grinder wasn't going to improve my grinding skills. It may have improved my fabrication skills, but not my grinding skills.

Back to your fabulous photos, that kid is really cute. I wonder if he's smithing today.

Man, that is so awesome. I have this picture saved on my computer which I look at from time to time as a reminder that people do so much with a lot less than I have. Thanks for posting this, it made my day.

846466987_32e3a52718_z.jpg

Edited by Wes Detrick
  • Like 1