Are you interested in:
Experiencing an iron smelt?
Smelting steel for use on your own projects?
During the month of May Warrior's Path is excited to offer a variety of smelting classes that will allow you to get a hands on learning experience of what it takes to smelt steel from iron ore. Classes can be purchased online on my website, www.warriorspathpatternweld.com

This unique offering will allow you to get familiar with the process of smelting steel from iron ore. Each class will walk you through every step of the process, from making ore cakes and mixing clay, to the extraction of the bloom from the furnace. The resulting steel will be a beautiful, one of a kind product, which will be ready to further refine and forge to any shape you can imagine. Fe Smelt Fest. Participants will be invited to not only experience an iron smelt first hand, but also to take home the results of thier labor.

Classes currently available:

April 29 Mega Stack Demo - Free
May 1-2 Two Day Smelt Experience
May 4-5 Two Day Smelt Experience
May 6 One Day Smelt Experience

May 8-9 Two Day Smelt Experience
May 11-12 Two Day Smelt Experience
May 13 Single Stack Consolidation - Free

Two Day Smelt Experience $550
Minimum enrollment 4 students, maximum 6.
Day 1) we will explore furnace construction, make ore cakes, prepare clay and other items that will be used to construct the furnace. We will then fire a stack, two students per stack, pull the bloom from the stack, and forge the bloom flat.
Day 2) we will tend to the smelting area and start processing the bloom.

Single Day Smelt Experience $350
Minimum enrollment 4 students, maximum 8.
Day One we will explore furnace construction, make ore cakes, prepare clay and other items that will be used to construct the furnace. We will then fire a stack, two students per stack, pull the bloom from the stack, and forge the bloom flat.

Primitive camping is available onsite at no charge, and there is a hotel less than a block away which I will work out a discounted price once I have an idea of volume.
Edited by Michael Pikula

Great question Dave, this will be an intensive hands on learning experience. I am not planning on holding a formal lecture, but I will spend a little bit of time prior to firing each stack to discussing what will be going on, as well as shedding light on why I decide to go about things a certain way. During the smelt there should be some time to talk theory, or enjoy the moment, and of course a review at the end. My main intention is to share a good method of smelting steel, that is repeatable at the participants own shop, to produce steel in a way that is respectful to the materials consumed. I have seen too many blooms that don't hold together, or yield an insignificant mass of material. If I can share how to make beautiful, quality steel, repeatably, maybe I can help start a wave of new smiths utilizing this material in a way that is unprecedented in our modern age.

Hi Michael, when you say

"The day fee is $650 and can be shared between up to 3 individuals. (Based on a 40 pound bloom, cost works out to be $16.25 per pounds plus information absorbed.)"

Does that mean 3 people pay $650, or 3 people pay $1950 (650 each)?

It would be pretty cool to see your shop, and the idea of getting a large enough bloom for a sword which I can mess up later sounds great haha :P If it's goes near the end of May I could always loop back up to Scott Roush place for his hammer in... :rolleyes:

Michael L: His shop is holy-crap awesome, too. I stopped by on my drive down to FL from AK and helped on a smelt.

His Dad has a house nearby. A word of warning: be careful if his Dad offers you some homemade moonshine. It's awesome, but I couldn't feel the left side of my face for a couple of days afterwards (it was worth it). If anyone is a sailor, you'll be amazed by his Dad's stories too.

Grins,

Dave

Hi Michael, when you say

"The day fee is $650 and can be shared between up to 3 individuals. (Based on a 40 pound bloom, cost works out to be $16.25 per pounds plus information absorbed.)"

Does that mean 3 people pay $650, or 3 people pay $1950 (650 each)?

It would be pretty cool to see your shop, and the idea of getting a large enough bloom for a sword which I can mess up later sounds great haha :P If it's goes near the end of May I could always loop back up to Scott Roush place for his hammer in... :rolleyes:

Hi Michael, I will work on the phrasing as I can see how it could be misleading. The cost is per stack, so the $650 and bloom would be split between the members of your group.

This will be going on throughout all of May, so as soon as registration opens you can book your date and be good to go!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just updated the event information to make things a lot clearer to understand. Also classes can now be purchased and secured online through my website! https://warriorspathpatternweld.com

Classes currently available:

April 29 Mega Stack Demo - Free
May 1-2 Two Day Smelt Experience
May 4-5 Two Day Smelt Experience

May 8-9 Two Day Smelt Experience
May 11-12 Two Day Smelt Experience
May 13 Single Stack Consolidation - Free

Two Day Smelt Experience $550
Minimum enrollment 4 students, maximum 6.
Day 1) we will explore furnace construction, make ore cakes, prepare clay and other items that will be used to construct the furnace. We will then fire a stack, two students per stack, pull the bloom from the stack, and forge the bloom flat.
Day 2) we will tend to the smelting area and start processing the bloom.

One Day Smelt Experience $350
Minimum enrollment 4 students, maximum 8.
Day One we will explore furnace construction, make ore cakes, prepare clay and other items that will be used to construct the furnace. We will then fire a stack, two students per stack, pull the bloom from the stack, and forge the bloom flat.

Edited by Michael Pikula
  • 1 month later...

There are still plenty of opportunities to sign up for a class experience, and giving yourself a head start in you own ventures in steel making. Just think, what is the value behind learning a system that is efficient in the fuel and ore utilized, as well as how to easily build a furnace which is over 60% reusable. How about a system you can use to drop your turn around time between firing, while producing a relatively minimal waste pile? Sign up for a class and take your smelting to the next level!

• 2 weeks later...

Due to no interest in the classes, the resources needed to successfully prepare can not be acquired, so I am canceling the class offerings. Heart felt gratitude to those that took note, I look forward to offering other means of delivering value in the near future.