Sign in to follow this  
Sam Ecroyd

Axe WIP

Last weekend Mark Sutton and I attended a small hammer-in at the forge of our dear friend James Higson and, under his masterful guidance, we decided to attempt a pattern welded axe for the first time.

We started with 13 layers of 15N20 and EN42J, forged it out, cut, stacked and re-forged up to 104 layers.

We then heated the straight billet up, clamped the bottom third in a vice, gripped the top third and twisted the middle of the billet through 90⁰. We had a bit of an idea what (we hoped!) might happen to the pattern but it was a bit of an experiment – don’t know if this actually has a name?

IMG-20170122-WA0015.jpg

Drifting the eye was a slight learning curve, as we’ve never attempted a drift this big before but after a few hours we had the article below.

IMG-20170122-WA0006.jpg

After a rough grinding to shape we did a quick etch to have a look at the pattern, pictures below (apologies for poor camera phone quality!)

DSC_0529.JPG

Hoping to get this polished up and etched then onto a blackthorn handle in the near future.

As always comments and critiques gratefully accepted.

• Like 1

Good start, the idea of the twist is great. Love to see it finished

Good start, the idea of the twist is great. Love to see it finished

+1.............. B)

Hey! Not trying to "steel" the thread at all because your axe is super beautiful! I really like the overall shape of it and how far out it extends. I did a very similar thing with a damascus axe- it ended up looking similar, but with slightly fewer layers I think.

Looking forward to see your final etch on it!

Axe Twist.png

Axe 1.jpg

• Like 1

Hey! Not trying to "steel" the thread at all because your axe is super beautiful! I really like the overall shape of it and how far out it extends. I did a very similar thing with a damascus axe- it ended up looking similar, but with slightly fewer layers I think.

Looking forward to see your final etch on it!

attachicon.gifAxe Twist.png

attachicon.gifAxe 1.jpg

Eric, "steel" away! If this axe comes out looking half as good as yours then I will be a very happy little boy. I will admit that it extends a bit further than we originally intended and the blade shape is stightly different due to a slight fold in the steel that needed grinding out, but overall I'm very happy with how those little "axe-idents" turned out.

Thanks, I really prefer the developed langets you have going on. Those look pretty slick.

Finally got around to updating this thread, got the head cleaned up and etched. I ended up using oak for the handle with a leather wrap. All thoughts and criticisms gratefully accepted.

DSC_0719.JPGDSC_0722.JPGDSC_0732.JPGIMG_2147.JPGIMG_2148.JPGIMG_2149.JPG

• Like 1

I like the straight pattern heading into the chaos!  Somehow I totally missed that is what you were aiming for with the first post.

• Like 1

Descent into chaos!  I like it!  And what are the specs on EN42J?

7 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Descent into chaos!  I like it!  And what are the specs on EN42J?

Thanks Alan. According to the guys at highgradesteel UK from whom we purchased it: "EN42J C: 0.75/0.90 % Si: 0.35 Max % Mn: 0.60/0.90 % P: max. 0.05 % S: max. 0.05 %"

I think I might need to rename the thread, "Descent into Chaos" is way better!

Nice one Sam. That’s come out lovely. I like the shape and pattern a lot. I still have some blackthorn here but nothing large enough for that handle. Are you planning on replanting an oak forest btw?

13 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Nice one Sam. That’s come out lovely. I like the shape and pattern a lot. I still have some blackthorn here but nothing large enough for that handle. Are you planning on replanting an oak forest btw?

Cheers Charles, I might well come and grab some Blackthorn next time I'm over your way, but I couldn't find anything hefty enough this time round. The oaks are some I'm growing from Lake District acorns, most for replanting but I'm hopefully hopefully going to Bonsai a few.

1 hour ago, Sam Ecroyd said:

Cheers Charles, I might well come and grab some Blackthorn next time I'm over your way, but I couldn't find anything hefty enough this time round. The oaks are some I'm growing from Lake District acorns, most for replanting but I'm hopefully hopefully going to Bonsai a few.

Always welcome mate. Just shout next time you’re down here. Put some of those bonsai in the photo section when they’re ready.

I might have seen that 90* twist pattern somewhere before, but its still really rad. It makes me want to make a knife like that.

Great job!

17 hours ago, Sam Ecroyd said:

"EN42J C: 0.75/0.90 % Si: 0.35 Max % Mn: 0.60/0.90 % P: max. 0.05 % S: max. 0.05 %"

Basically 1080, for anybody wondering. 

Very nice axe. The pattern and dimensions are eye catching.