Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stephens

10,000+ Members!

All:

You may have noticed that we recently passed a milestone. We now have over 10,000 members on this little forum! Holy crap.

Also, we're now almost never without at least 50-100 non-members browsing the forum at any given time, every day.

I'm now contacted regularly by investors that want to buy the forum due to the heavy traffic. In today's world, that's a pretty telling sign. (Don't worry, I won't ever sell it. I don't feel that belongs to me, anyway. Don left it to everyone when he retired.)

This is pretty cool.

Thanks to everyone that helped make this forum the crossroads of the world for Bladesmiths!

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 2

Excellent.

I can only imagine how quickly some "investor" would wreck this place on buying it. LOL.

Excellent.

I can only imagine how quickly some "investor" would wreck this place on buying it. LOL.

I was very active on a hobby machinist forum that was decimated when it got purchased and commercialized.

Half the people who had posted so much useful information got spooked by the user agreement which indicted they would loose ownership of the material they posted. They then took down their photo hosing sites leaving the tutorials a tattered mess. After which most of them left the forum. I felt they were over-reacting to the ULA, but the feelings were quite strong.

Then the adds came in. Blinking flashing adds on every page. That is when I stopped going there.

I have to say I pretty much owe 80% of everything I've achieved to this forum and am very grateful to you guys for making it all possible and for continuing to put the time in your maintain it. 10,000 is mad!

I have to say I pretty much owe 80% of everything I've achieved to this forum and am very grateful to you guys for making it all possible and for continuing to put the time in your maintain it. 10,000 is mad!

Ditto!

This forum has really helped me with the craft, too! Everyone here is so friendly and willing to help, like one big family of bladesmiths.

I can't say enough how much I enjoy this forum. I consistently learn something every time I come here, and the core members are incredibly helpful. I always leave feeling completely inadequate but very inspired to do better. Other blade websites have a completely different attitude and aren't nearly as helpful. Thanks for the work you guys do to keep this going.

In my previous post, I commented on how I have seen commercial outfits ruin a forum like this, but failed to state what everyone else has.

This place is amazing. I've been/am involved with a lot of forums over a wide variety of topics. Some of them great, and some of them terrible. I can't think of one that is a good as this group.

No egos or a-holes. No forum bullies with their cronies, or the trolls that belittle everything. Not even one of those "No rules" sections that tend to just create tempers that seep into the rest of the forum.

The admins do a fantastic job to start with, and the rest of you do a good job at keeping each other in check. My hat is off to all 9,999 of the rest of you :)

Thank you Dave, and all of the other admins for making this a haven on the otherwise cesspool of an Internet.

• Like 2

Thank you Dave, and all of the other admins for making this a haven on the otherwise cesspool of an Internet.

That's the fact jack !!!

I have to agree with everyone else, this site has been invaluable. I've had to take a new job in another state so I haven't been able to forge since Thanksgiving, even then, only a day or two.

I'm still in the site every day. Thank you everyone, admins, supporters, advisers and friends.

Gary LT

I have seen good forums decline due to Facebook.

I have seen at least one fall victim to arrogant over-moderation.

Some have just died.

This is the one place that I look forward to visiting daily. The information is incredible and the moderators are top-notch.

Glad to be one of the 10,000

Don

Good stuff! Pretty cool how Mr. Fogg's forum has grown.

Fantastic!! It's a testament to the quality of admins and members on this forum that it is still one of the best places I have ever seen for the help and genuine spirit of the craft. Being as large as it is, it would have been easy along the way for things to start to spiral out of control, but instead it's only gotten better. Cheers to everyone for being part of the community and to the admins for keeping it going, I have learned so much here and met so many incredible people, and surely would not be anywhere near where I am today (or anywhere at all!) without the folks behind the forum.

John