C Craft

Slightly used anvil for sale

Slightly used anvil for sale on Craigslist,

Antique Blacksmith Anvil WEIGHS over 150 LBs. trade for old metal porcelain gas station sign or coke signs , old neon clock, or gas pump. (MOBILE /MS. line)

3 pics of this beautiful, Antique Blacksmith Anvil !! LOL Must see to believe!! s12137.gif

00m0m_2iE2xqFIV0W_600x450.jpg

00s0s_3sDN41maBwt_600x450.jpg

00q0q_g274K59F7Wi_600x450.jpg

I tend to think that if you got anyone to trade for that one, well lets just say....................................tt2.gif

Edited by C Craft

Oh my dayum!

One owner from new, little old lady, only used on weekends, very low mileage, one of the true classics...

SLIGHTLY ??? used !!!!......... :o

In fairness to the owner, I bet that anvil was only used once or twice...

...it was abused the rest of its life!

• Like 1

In fairness to the owner, I bet that anvil was only used once or twice...

...it was abused the rest of its life!

Amen, brother! If that one could talk I would bet it would be a horror story!! I think part of the first pic is angle but, check out the beat marks under the horn. How do you beat one up down there??????

Ouch! :o

Well, if anyone wanted to experiment with reforging and welding a new steel faceplate onto a wrought iron anvil, here's the chance, since that one seems to have only a tiny chunk of steel left near the heel... with that much abuse and damage I'm surprised it still has the horn at all! :ph34r:

Here's one on the local CL:

Used Armitage House Anvil - $125

00f0f_dr3lau5i4GM_600x450.jpg

Probably make a good blade anvil, but I just got a kick out of "used" = beat the horn and heel plumb off.

Poor angles during fullering, not heating the steel enough, heck just pounding on the edges like an idiot! Personally I want to say someone long ago used this as a makeshift bottom die for some power or treadle hammer.

I guess what struck me the funniest, is what he was describing he would like to trade for:

Antique Blacksmith Anvil WEIGHS over 150 LBs. trade for old metal porcelain gas station sign or coke signs , old neon clock, or gas pump.

I have always been somewhat of a picker. The type of old metal signs, and other items, he is describing, go from on the low end to a $100+ and on the high $2000+. It all depends on the subject matter and the condition.

In the shape the anvil is in about the best he might get is scrap iron prices! The going price right now for cast iron is $0.045- $0.06/lb! Quoting this source: https://rockawayrecycling.com/metal/cast-iron/

At the high end of that scale at 150# x $0.06=$9.00! Not even worth the gas to carry it to the scrap yard! The Chinese have been flooding the market at both ends and drove scrap prices to an all time low!!! :angry:

I am sitting on a pile of scrap sheet metal and aluminum cans and won't sell them because of the low prices. Sure wouldn't trade something of value for what is left of that anvil!!!

Edited by C Craft

How did they get the face to mushroom like that? It's the same height as the shelf!

That's what happens when the steel face gets broken off and they continue to use (abuse) it as an anvil. Hammering hard on soft wrought iron equals a mushroomed mess. My guess would be a heck of a lot of hammering cold steel with a big sledge hammer, perhaps wielded by a captive sasquatch.

I guess what struck me the funniest, is what he was describing he would like to trade for:

Antique Blacksmith Anvil WEIGHS over 150 LBs. trade for old metal porcelain gas station sign or coke signs , old neon clock, or gas pump.

I have always been somewhat of a picker. The type of old metal signs, and other items, he is describing, go from on the low end to a $100+ and on the high $2000+. It all depends on the subject matter and the condition.

In the shape the anvil is in about the best he might get is scrap iron prices! The going price right now for cast iron is $0.045- $0.06/lb! Quoting this source: https://rockawayrecycling.com/metal/cast-iron/

At the high end of that scale at 150# x $0.06=$9.00! Not even worth the gas to carry it to the scrap yard! The Chinese have been flooding the market at both ends and drove scrap prices to an all time low!!! :angry:

I am sitting on a pile of scrap sheet metal and aluminum cans and won't sell them because of the low prices. Sure wouldn't trade something of value for what is left of that anvil!!!

Well, since what's left of it is wrought iron, not cast, it is actually worth a little more than that, but not to me! :lol:

... with a big sledge hammer, perhaps wielded by a captive sasquatch.

I would love to see this as a segment on the next Arctic Fire.

I would love to see this as a segment on the next Arctic Fire.

"Bladesmiths, for this challenge we have removed the presses and power hammers form the forge. You must use the big harry thing under the sheet over there for all of your hammering..."

"Bladesmiths, for this challenge we have removed the presses and power hammers form the forge. You must use the big harry thing under the sheet over there for all of your hammering..."

I was thinking the exact same thing! :P