Two broken back style saxes (with Kentish origin)

I've just finished these two broken back style saxes, of the so-called Honeylane type. Both started out at Owen's.

Img_4781b.jpg

The large one started as a cut-off someone left on the floor at one of Owen's Bushfire Forge-ins. My memory says it's 1080 steel, but I could be wrong. I thought it was a nice basis for a broken back style sax. I only had time to give it a few hits. Later I took it with me to the bronze casting event Umha Aois in Ireland, where I forged it into a blade. Then I did nothing until I took it to some place filled with bronze swords and pirates in Cornwall, where I file finished the blade. It then came back to the Netherlands, where I did the rest at home. So it's a well traveled blade before it was even finished :) Since it started out in Kent, I decided to give it the distinct Kentish notch, so well known for this area.

Img_4786b.jpg

Img_4759b.jpg

The blade is differentially hardened using clay. However, I didn't like the looks of the hamon on this one after etching, so I sanded it down again. Fortunately, still a very faint hamon is showing.

The sax is not a reproduction of one specific type. I took just a little bit more liberty in the design. Though I did use the following three as inspiration, to stay within historic boundaries. This one for the overall design and handle:

Hamartigenia_&_Psychomachia _France_890AD.jpg

And this one for the groove (surprizingly rare on these types of saxes):

11047936_826800944058340_9076493302857577391_n.jpg

And this one for the most pronounced "Kentish notch" on an actual example:

sax_Dublin-museum_Ireland.jpg

The second one is a bit smaller. It's a leftover piece of edge billet that I made for the longsax I did at Owen's patternwelded sax course. It's 16 layers W2, just W2 folded onto itself. I was interested in seeing if this gave a look more closely to sheer steel. I already forged the blade during the course, as well, you do get a lot of free time while making a patternwelded long sax start to finish in 5 days. Not really, but I worked hard :)

IMG_5816b.jpg

I also did a clay coat on this one, and etched the hamon in ferric chloride, 5 dips of 1 minute, polishing with 2500 grit sandpaper to remove the oxides in between.

Img_4771b.jpg

Img_4773b.jpg

Close up of the blade:

Img_4632b.jpg

Edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk
  • Like 1

On the larger sax, the handle is apple wood, treated with lineseed oil and finished with amber varnish. The smaller one has a walnut handle, treated with walnut oil (found that appropriate :)

Some more shots of both:

Img_4775b.jpg

Img_4782b.jpg

Edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk
  • Like 1

Those are both really good looking! You really nailed the proportions of blade to handle length, in my opinion. I am a bit jealous! I've been fighting with a little sax blade which looks much like the smaller one here for a couple of days; I'm trying to burn the handle on properly, but somehow no matter what I do the blade manages to tilt backwards as I burn it it and ends up at a weird angle to the grip. The sax as a form looks so simple but is surprisingly challenging for me to put together neatly!

Those are both really good looking! You really nailed the proportions of blade to handle length, in my opinion. I am a bit jealous! I've been fighting with a little sax blade which looks much like the smaller one here for a couple of days; I'm trying to burn the handle on properly, but somehow no matter what I do the blade manages to tilt backwards as I burn it it and ends up at a weird angle to the grip. The sax as a form looks so simple but is surprisingly challenging for me to put together neatly!

Thanks! Did you pre-drill the handle? That can help to guide the tang burning in the right direction, particularly if the handle material doesn't leave a lot of freedom to correct. Usually I take a piece of wood that is still a fair bit larger then the eventual handle, so I can correct the angle when I cut the handle to shape. If that's not enough, I sometimes file the tang a bit until I can insert it at the proper angle, which I had to do on the smaller one. Both of these were burned without pre-drilling I believe.

• Like 1

Nice work, as always. Now I want to know more about amber varnish...

Adam, when I did a seax with a long handle I started out with a standard drill bit to start the whole and then went to progressively longer bits until I got the pilot hole to the depth that I wanted it. Because all that I have is a bench mounted drill press I had to start out the the longest handle blank that I could get under the bit and then switch to a hand drill using the hole to guide the progressively longer bits.

Doug

• Like 1

Jeroen, I don't think that I've ever seen that pattern of seax before. I'm determined that I'm going to get back to forging this spring so maybe I'll give that pattern a try. How much of that notch did you forge in or was it all basically grinding?

Doug

Jeroen, I don't think that I've ever seen that pattern of seax before. I'm determined that I'm going to get back to forging this spring so maybe I'll give that pattern a try. How much of that notch did you forge in or was it all basically grinding?

Doug

The notch was forged in. Here's the blade just after forging, with only a little bit of cleaning to remove the scale:

Img_1500a.jpg

I really like the shape of the blades and the traditional handles.

Why did you go for clay heat treatment when you had 1080 steel and were making a seax?

I am not criticizing, I have done clay ht seaxes, too. Not as well, either :).

The blades flow well, and the long traditional handles look just right.

great job. Thanks for sharing your work and all of the history you always share with us.

I really like the shape of the blades and the traditional handles.

Why did you go for clay heat treatment when you had 1080 steel and were making a seax?.

Partially for fun and experimenting with it, and for the other part to make them resemble originals a bit closer, which generally weren't through hardened. Though on the originals it was just due to the materials used (patternwelded or not), rather then through clay coats probably.

aha! The, "autohamon," effect. I forgot. I have never heat treated a piece of bloomery steel with that thick spine and long/wide wedge shape.

I really want to learn to do heath melting to approximate early steels. In fact, we are having a mini-workshop in March at my shop/forge. Once I learn to do this, I will be able to make better daos (which were clayed), Japanese swords (which I have never made), and of course, seaxes.

Oh yeah.

Thanks again for sharing what you are doing. I really appreciate it.

kc

I hope to work with old style steel some time as well. Wrought is easy, I've got plenty of that. I know at least one of the old leaf springs I have is shear steel, but I don't know which or if I still have anything of that one left. So I may have to do some grinding and etching through my stock to see if I can find more of it. Alternatively, I have a wrecked tulwar blade. I thought it was just wrought, as it was bend and straightened out fairly easily. But I recently discovered it has a hamon, so I may recycle that one into edge material. I just have to see if it's full shear steel, or that it only has a steel edge welded in.

Wow, I loved it all. The notch is really well defined. Did you just hammer upside or you used the anvil as a guide while hammering from the edge-to-be? Once I made a small sax with this notch but didn't have the balls to forge it and then i ground it. This is awesome!

I just forged the point with the flat of the hammer up to the spine, so that the top of the point was already low enough. That gives a beginning of the notch. And then I used the peen to define the notch further. It worked a lot easier then I expected, but you have to be a bit careful. If you do mess it up, you can always move the notch a bit further back. It's better to make the notch more defined then too little. On an earlier sax (this one: http://1501bc.com/metalworking/brokenback_sax3.jpg) I made it too subtle, and when I filed the sax I pretty much lost it trying to clean up the spine. I could have recreated it by filing the back of the point down, but I rather do most of my shaping by forging rather then filing. So I kept that one as is.