Leather wrap on hilt using only the leather itself.

Been looking for days and it would seem everybody is lazy and ignorant in this style. I have a leather lace about a 15th of an inch thick by a quarter inch thick. I'd like to do a wrap around the hilt without using glue,rivets,screws or any other fastening device other than the leather. I hope somebody on this site can help by either demonstration or posting a link to a similar form of education on the matter.I have seen it done before and I have done it myself but i'd like to know more than one way of doing so. I currently have no sword to work on in practise so I am currently using a half inch by quarter inch bar of steel.

Best wishes-Nathaniel

Wrapping leather directly over the tang, especially with no bonding agent, is generally a bad idea. Leather is relatively soft and will wear out with the constant pressure and shock of a tang.

For the definitive guide on the proper way to wrap a grip in leather, please refer to this glorious post written by one of our grand poobahs, Mr Peter Johnsson. https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15010

Edited by Collin Miller
  • Like 1

Sounds like he's looking for cord wrap instructions to use for leather but I could be wrong

Google cord wrap instructions you should find a ton of variations out there that can be applied to leather as well little tip depending on the leather you will eather want to use a preservative or baby powder to help the strands slide wile pulling or it won't tend to get as tight as it could that's an old whip braiders trick

Edited by dragoncutlery