Good find on eBay?

Mason Simonet

Howdy! I'm new here, so anyway I'm looking at 2 anvils right now, one is an NC 70 pound anvil. the other is one from eBay which is 5 pounds heavier, has a better center of mass, has a usable horn, and has a much larger surface area, and 20 bucks cheaper! but I'm a little scared to buy this unknown anvil from eBay. the nc anvil is $288 from centaur forge with 10% off my first order so it would be $259, and the eBay anvil is $240 (shipping combined). so anyway my question is done anyone have any information on this eBay anvil? should i go for it? heres this link.

Table Top Shop ROUND HORN FARRIER WELDING BLACKSMITH SOLID 75 POUND STEEL ANVIL | eBa

by the way I'm using an ASO HB cast iron anvil right now, so this will be an upgrade :)

UPDATE, i just noticed a casting line on the horn...

Edited by Simonet

My only thought on the ebay anvil is that it looks like most of the face is offset from the center, meaning you may not get as good energy transfer as opposed to the NC. From what I've read, a seam is not necessarily a bad sign. It may mean the anvil was drop forged. Who do you trust more for customer service? Does Centaur do a buy back discount if you upgrade later?

Keep in mind, though, that my current anvil is a section of A36 box.

That anvil looks like something I wouldn't spend a dime on. The seller claims it's not cast iron, but in his reviews people are complaining that the anvil isn't as heavy as it was advertised. In other words if he is lying about one aspect of the anvil it's not unreasonable to think they would be lying about another critical fact. Those two things combined would make me not think twice about leaving it behind.

That being said I don't think I'd go with the NC either. I'm sure it would be an upgrade from what you have, but that being said you are likely to find something that will last the rest of your life if you look at antique anvils for not a whole lot more. My first anvil (which I understand was the best deal ever) was a 200# Peter Wright for $200

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a used anvil for a while now and they just never come up, seems like there aren't many blacksmiths in my state... but ill keep looking! till then ill just struggle with my ASO... which is not even anvil shaped anymore! haha

If you're making blades primarily, look into a good stump anvil.

They are inexpensive and excellent size for knife making.

Thats a good idea! especially since i never use the horn or hardy. do they still work good even tho they are so light?

Edited by Simonet
  • Like 1