John Page

Serpent-Spear

Thanks Nick! There a few ways of doing it, but without any stock removal this is all I could come up with that seemed reasonable to try. Another way to do it is like Niels did in the Serpent Sword where the straight core is clad with an outer edge of sacrificial material which is then cut with a bunch of offset triangles, then forged back to a rectangle. It is effectively the same thing. One way I want to try is using a press, making a set of dies which have a full wavelength of the shape of the edge bar, using it to bend the core into a snake, then using that along with the top die to forge in the waves to the edge bar. With a little care and manipulation of the steel along the way, it theoretically can give a set of three matching bars that come together perfectly, which can then be welded as is without using the shape as a means of distorting the core. That way, it can be a lot tighter. If any of that even made sense... It would be considerably easier to explain with pictures, so maybe I'll get to that once I have a press available :)

• Like 1

Wow!

Just wow John!

Now you are really inspiring me to up my forge game.

I'm thrilled to say that the scraper works beautifully! The steep edge angle has done a wonderful job at taking off little curls of steel, and the heat treatment I think was spot on. Although there is a long way to go with this, I took a really quick test etch to show what's going on. Because I don't have anything to etch it in, I just wiped on some ferric until I started to see things stand out. I already knew that the serpent is not quite centred in the spear, but for the process I am not too worried about it. Unfortunately, because of work I won't be able to do anything with this until about mid March, so hopefully the down and dirty etch will suffice until I can do it properly ;)

24 scraping.jpg

I don't have any good way to hold this in my apartment, which made it difficult, but once back out in the shop I can hold it secure in the post vice and really start hogging off some meat from this. And also not worry about getting little metal shavings all over the place...

25 test etch.jpg

• Like 1

Looking great, can't wait until you pull some more meat off and expose more of the patterning.

Fantastic. What steel is the scraper made from?