oiling a forge blower

hey guys.

i have this hand crank forge blower and i think its about time to oil it... i got last year and haven't oiled it since, what type of oil do y'all recommend? not looking for anything fancy, just something easy that will work!

I respectfully disagree on the thick oil. These were designed to use light motor oil.  ATF works well also.  The heavier the oil, the harder it is to crank.  I used to use 30wt bar and chain oil because it sticks to gear teeth, but I have since switched to 0w-10 because I have it.  My blower now spins for a while after I stop cranking.  Keep the crankcase full, they are supposed to leak while in use.

I agree on the thinner oil, especially in colder climates. I've googled this in the past and one blacksmiths group had a post saying a few drops at each use is good, any more just pours out the housing as they are not sealed.

This being said I've had a problem with mine freezing right up to the point I need a heater on it for 10 minutes. After a low heat from an electric heater all is well. I've removed the drain plug- nothing. Maybe the fan blade is freezing in its housing(Buffalo forge blower). I live in western NY and temps have been all over the board this season 0-50. Perhaps just condensation as I've never had this problem before.

Just now, MacCrea said:

I agree on the thinner oil, especially in colder climates. I've googled this in the past and one blacksmiths group had a post saying a few drops at each use is good, any more just pours out the housing as they are not sealed.

This being said I've had a problem with mine freezing right up to the point I need a heater on it for 10 minutes. After a low heat from an electric heater all is well. I've removed the drain plug- nothing. Maybe the fan blade is freezing in its housing(Buffalo forge blower). I live in western NY and temps have been all over the board this season 0-50. Perhaps just condensation as I've never had this problem before.

oh i got no problem with it being to cold, I'm in florida...

• Like 1

Interesting, I've always used the thick stuff and never had a problem with it being hard to crank. I usually get at least one revolution when I stop cranking. Winter or summer doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I will try some thinner stuff next time it's needed and see what kind of a difference that makes. Thanks for the tip.

i use 30 weight non-detergent.  Many of these old blowers have copper ally gears in them and modern detergent oils can attack copper alloys.

Blowers like the Champion 400 or the Royal Western Chief tend to be total loss oil systems, and will drain out after a few days through the front of the blower.

---

Justin "Tharkis" Mercier

www.tharkis.com

Just now, Justin Mercier said:

i use 30 weight non-detergent.  Many of these old blowers have copper ally gears in them and modern detergent oils can attack copper alloys.

Blowers like the Champion 400 or the Royal Western Chief tend to be total loss oil systems, and will drain out after a few days through the front of the blower.

i got mine new from Russia i think its mostly aluminum but i don't know about the gears