Florian F Fortner

Question on hilt chiseling/carving technique

I have fallen in love with a certain sword hilt that I absolutely want to make. I know there are some experienced guys on here, so please give me some hints on which procedure to choose. Most of it could be done with filing (after giving it a rough shape on the lathe), I suppose. The 3D-ishness seems a bit much for engraving, or can a pneumatic engraver handle this? Hand chiseling would be the original technique used, yet it seems like a herculean task.

What do you think?

0624.00.00.01.jpg

• Like 1

If I was to attempt Something like this I would start with a lathe and files to Block out the rough shape, then I would use a quality rotary tool with carbide burrs for the 3d carving. Finally clean the lines with riffling files and chisels.

It would still be An herculean task though, this kind of sculpting will always take a lot of time and skill.

A pneumatic engraver will certainly do the job.  They would have used slightly larger chisels, of course.  Something similar to modern die-sinker's chisels.  While it looks like a daunting task, it doesn't take as long as you might think, with practice of course. Cleaning up the background with matting punches would be the most time-consuming part.

Thanks for the hints! 

First try at doing a sample completely by hand. Just filing and chiseling. It took me 3 hours to finish this small piece and it turned out so-so. I realised being an artist would help a lot in this :-) The upside is, if the background stays black, the finish doesn't need to be too smooth (most of the originals weren't)

Also bending first and then starting the sculpting is the way to go. If the diameter changes abruptly, the bend will have kinks even though the piece is glowing orange. The knuckle-guard and crossguard are a 13mm round stock, which is tough to bend anyway.

I already asked for shipping of an EnSet engraver, this machine is also pneumatic power-file. Incredible!! Has anyone used this?

P1070571.JPGa

• Like 1

Welcome, and no.    ;)

When the original of that sword was made they did not have the ability to cast steel.  It was all done with files, chisels, and scrapers.