Jeremy Blohm

nutec max wool

Has any one used the nutec max wool hps for there forge lining? If so what do you think off it? Dose it last? How much did you pay?

I'm pretty sure I picked up a roll of the HTZ for cheap a while ago: 128 kg/M3, 25mm thick (8 lb/cu.ft, 1"). It was pretty much indistinguishable from the Unifrax stuff I usually use, both to build with and, as far as I can tell, in terms of durability.

If welding is anything like a possibility, I'd urge you to consider the HTZ rather than the HPS, though HPS should be fine if you are simply forging and are not just using a burner tuned for welding (high flame temperature) with the pressure turned down (low heat input). 

Refractory Ceramic Fiber is well established technology and there are many factors that will have a much greater impact on how well a forge works and lasts than the name on the box of blanket.

Edited by timgunn

I was just making sure it will hold up to the temps. Even if i have to replace it a little sooner than the HTZ i just picked up 17 boxes of half inch thick 48 inches wide and 300 inches long and a pallet of fire brick at auction for $80. So hopefully i have a lifetime supply of both.

The 1/2" should be OK in a small chamber, but it'll probably be a PITA in a big one where it's not stiff enough to hold the curve of the top of the chamber without sagging, particularly when wet with whatever rigidizer/coating you use..

If building a biggish forge, I'd be inclined to find a suitably-sized former and get a couple of wraps well rigidized onto the outside of it before wrapping with more layers of unrigidized blanket and inserting into the shell. My first attempt at doing this was a dismal failure because I couldn't get it off the PVC pipe former. For the second attempt, I wrapped the PVC pipe with a layer of an old sleeping mat (10mm, 3/8", closed cell foam), allowing me to pull the pipe from inside the foam and then remove the foam. This worked pretty well.

What is the fire brick: Hard or insulating?

Thanks for the info. The fire brick is Insulating. The same stuff they sell at tractor supply for 2.49 a brick.

You sure about the brick?  The Tractor Supply near me only carries half-thickness hard firebrick.  Insulating brick feels like styrofoam in comparison.

I am jealous of your score, though!  You could also accordion-pleat the wool to get thickness.  Might have to sew some stainless tie wire along the back edges to hold it, but it's an idea.  Not saying it's a good idea, of course!

Hey there Alan,

Any idea is a good idea until proven otherwise!

I guess the fire brick is hard then.  But i did get about 75 12"x12" fire board that is about 3/4 of an inch thick and a bunch of other sizes too.

I got all of this from a place called Hawken Energy. It was an out door wood boiler manufacturer that just recently went belly up. And lucky for me it is anout a mile away from my house. So the day they had the open veiwing before the online auction i went there and took a stroll around. And came across the pallet of max wool. Then came auction time. Come to find it wasn't just the pallet but the rack and bricks and a bunch of other stuff. So i won the auction at $107 and after tax and fees it came to $128. I went to pick up said items and there was another customer there getting his stuff and he offers me $50 for the pallet rack it was sitting on so i took that offer real quick like. All i wanted was the contents so i recouped some cash without having to lift a finger. 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

You certainly got something of a bargain there.

As Alan noted, the only Tractor Supply fire brick I could find online was the 1 1/4" hard brick from US Stove. There's not much spec on it, either.

Easiest thing to do is probably measure and weigh one of yours to see what you've got. Maybe post pics?

Do you have any details on the board? The temperature rating is the main thing. If there's no spec or ID, the color can often give some clues. If the board looks like compressed HPS blanket and/or has a similar temperature rating, board ends on a 10" diameter cylinder, 18"-24" long and lined with 1" of blanket makes a good HT setup when paired with a properly-controllable burner.