hey y'all,

i found this 80 pound chipped up vulcan anvil and I'm thinking of bidding on it. what do y'all think my highest bid for this anvil should be? my mentor has a pretty chipped up anvil and i don't mind having no sharp edges but could this chipping continue? to a point that its unusable. heres the pics-l1600.jpg 

and theres 85 dollar shipping

Edited by Simonet

Depends on how desperate you are for an anvil, how flush you are with cash, and what the local prices run that question can be answered a bunch of different ways.  Personally I wouldn't pay more than $1/lb. for a Vulcan in that condition, including shipping.  They aren't exactly know as being top quality anvils, and that one is in rough/uncertain condition.  Honestly I don't think I would pay more than $2/lb. for any used anvil that I couldn't inspect myself or was vouched for by someone I trusted, but that is just me and I already have a decent Peter Wright, and I'm cheap.

19 minutes ago, Simonet said:

I'm pretty desperate for an anvil and i barley see anvils locally and when i do they are way overpriced, i just saw a 50 pound anvil on craigslist for 275!

Yeah, and they are usually in horrible shape, too!

With $85 dollars shipping I'd offer $20 and consider it generous.  Just because it used to be an anvil doesn't mean it's still worth the usual anvil prices.  Yes, it is usable, but it's not very heavy.  That's one reason the edges are gone, someone used too big a hammer on it.  The other reason the edges are gone is that it's a Vulcan.  The steel top plate is very thin, like 3/8" or so.  That's compared to the fully one-inch thick plate on a Fisher, the other, better, cast iron steel-faced anvil.  You rarely see a chipped Fisher, you almost never see a Vulcan that has any edges left at all.

In other words, I'd steer clear.  I know it's sooooooo tempting to jump on any anvil that appears, but really all you need is a block of steel.  Easy for me to say since I have a nice anvil, I know, but it remains true!

As for Craigslist prices, there was a guy not far from me who listed a 75lb Hay-Budden last year.  It was in okay shape from what I could tell by the pictures.  He wanted $1,500 for it.  :rolleyes:  I don't know what he would have thrown in to make up the extra 1300 dollars the anvil was not worth...:lol:

Just now, Geoff Keyes said:

If you must have an "anvil", keep looking.  For the money, this is the way to go. http://oldworldanvils.com/anvils/4x4-stake-anvil.html. 

It will serve you pretty well until you can find something better, and probably be a valuable tool even after you find your "dream anvil".

Geoff

oh haha i already have one of those but mines from ebay

Edited by Simonet
5 hours ago, Simonet said:

where do y'all find these blocks of steel?  ive looked in junkyards and don't seem to have any luck

I get my blocks of steel, and the bulk of my fabricating and mild steel smithing materials from a local discount/surplus steel supplier.  They have a nice tidy little business selling their overruns and cutoffs to the general public (they have an alternate location that sells in bulk).  Much of it is architectural shapes in odd sizes, but I can usually get decent stock at prices around 0.40/lb.  I would expect there is something similar in most metropolitan areas.  Here is an example of what their place look like: http://www.kleinsteeldirect.com/

Got a great piece of mystery steel for my striking anvil there (120#, approximately 5" x 3" x 20") as well as material to fabricate up a stand.

Don't use I-beam.  You want mass under the work area.  You'd be much better off with a couple feet of their 3" square.  Or these guys right down the road may have some good options.  

Odd, when I went to post this there was a post from Simonet asking about I-beam, then I post it and his post is gone.  

Edited by Jerrod Miller
Just now, Jerrod Miller said:

Don't use I-beam.  You want mass under the work area.  You'd be much better off with a couple feet of their 3" square.  Or these guys right down the road may have some good options.  

Odd, when I went to post this there was a post from Simonet asking about I-beam, then I post it and his post is gone.  

oh thats because i realized the place i saw the heavy i beam was to far of a drive! haha

2 minutes ago, Simonet said:

oh thats because i realized the place i saw the heavy i beam was to far of a drive! haha

I see.  If you update your location we can probably help you find something close by that may be useful.  

I found the steel block on Ebay.  The company that sold it is a steel supplier that sells cut off's.  Crags list might be a source too.  It's easier to find round cut offs that square ones but if you keep looking you will find them.  It took me a couple of months of checking every week or so.

Doug

I personally have a 75 lb Vulcan that I've been using for years now and it serves me well.

I have used other anvils and suffered from a bit of jealousy and given a chance would upgrade.

That bein said use what you can afford, and upgrade when you can, ya gotta beat on sumthin to learn........My $ .02