Alveprins

Bowie Knife - "Skogr Brandr" - The Forestblade

Skogr Brandr - The Forestblade

Blade length: 23 cm
Blade width: 3,2cm
Handle Length: 12,5cm
Total weight: 305 grams

The steel is 120 layers of twisted UHB20C, UHB15LM, 15N20, old rasps and Øberg-steel. Differential hardened. Hamon disappears towards the middle of the blade though. I suspect the clay came off quickly during quench.

Handle is colored and stabilized buckeye burl fastened with a mosaic pin.

Sheath is stained and waxed leather. Stitched using saddle-maker technique.

Enjoy. ;)

Bowie Whole-2.jpg

Bowie handle.jpg

Bowie Finger Guard.jpg

Bowie Blade.jpg

Bowie Whole-1.jpg

hope you guys liked it.

Sincerely, Alveprins.

• Like 1

The whole thing is great, but I particularly like the retention strap leaf on the sheath. It's a really creative touch and looks really good with the handle material. 

• Like 1

did you make the sheath your self? That's my biggest problem when selling a knife my self

nice and very cool that you used all those kind of steels in the process!

• Like 1

On ‎27‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 8:06 PM, Cook said:

did you make the sheath your self? That's my biggest problem when selling a knife my self

Indeed. I make everything myself. Well, except the mosaic pin that is... ;)

On ‎26‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 1:47 AM, Adam Betts said:

The whole thing is great, but I particularly like the retention strap leaf on the sheath. It's a really creative touch and looks really good with the handle material. 

Thanks!

I've started to make little details like that on all of my stuff. I find it puts that little extra flare into the piece as a whole. :)

Nice work :)

How are your back, and that new power hammer doing?

• Like 1

I keep returning to this post just to have another look. It feels like something I'd find at the end of a trail back home, propped up on the loose shale littering an undercut in the cliffside. I think it has an adventure in mind.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Nice work :)

How are your back, and that new power hammer doing?

Thank you! :)

My back is doing fine... I've been doing some calisthenics training as well - so my back is stronger than ever. Now I can truly slave away for hours down in the forge. ;)

the powerhammer is doing fine as well, althought I am starting to hear somewhat of a clanking sound from the chamber just below the back piston (the one that generates air pressure). I suspect there is "something" toucing "something else". I've opened the side covers and looked inside - but all the screws seem to be tight and secure.

Other than that - the hammer works like a charm. It is a simple piece of machinery, so I suppose there aren't too many things that can go horribly wrong - although there's a good chance I am incorrect in that conclusion... :P

13 hours ago, Jon Cook said:

I keep returning to this post just to have another look. It feels like something I'd find at the end of a trail back home, propped up on the loose shale littering an undercut in the cliffside. I think it has an adventure in mind.

Haha! Perhaps you are right. :) I hope the new owner will take it for many adventures.