Where to buy fire brick

Coleman_Pilkington

I've been forging with a coal forge for about three months now. although coal forges have an authentic feel and grit to them, I would like to build a propane forge. I though of making one by using fire brick, but if there's a better way, feel free to say so. 

Q: Where can I buy fire brick?

Q: Is there a better alternative?

I got mine from a local refractory supplier- it was about $65 for a box of 12 bricks

a better way would be to find an old propane tank or water heater or some other type of sheet metal shell, and line that with kaowool or kastolite- I have a brick forge now but this is what I'm going to do for my next build

Edited by Doug Crawford

A hard surface forge(firebrick, castables and the like) make for a much less efficient forge.  It's an effect called "thermal mass".  You have to heat the mass of the brick before you can start working.  Ideally, for most of us who don't forge every day, all day, a forge built of an insulator with a thin hard surface is the best build.  There are a number of products, inswool, Kaowool, they are all a refractory ceramic fiber mat.  There are lots of products to top coat the fiber.

http://www.hightemptools.com/index.html

http://www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/

Check these guys, they can help you

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

• 2 weeks later...

Question:  I have heard that you can make the forge coating that goes over your insulating material from water glass and aluminum oxide abrasive grit.  Is this true and will it stand up fairly well. 

Robert

3 hours ago, RobertMunford said:

Question:  I have heard that you can make the forge coating that goes over your insulating material from water glass and aluminum oxide abrasive grit.  Is this true and will it stand up fairly well. 

Robert

No.  Not even a little bit.  This is not the place to try and save a buck, the real stuff is not too expensive.  Plus if you're using coal or charcoal you don't need it anyway.