Just finished this one. CS70, bubinga and brass pins. Leather sheath and aluminium rivets. Did something a bit different with the blade finish - after etching the blade and removing the loose oxides with brasso, I put it in the oven at 400f, which turns the etched surface into a dusty blue/purple oxide (the unetched tang took on a mid-straw oxide colour; the blue oxide is a result of the thicker oxide layer produced by the etch)...

filleting 14.jpg

filleting 13.jpg

let me know what you think...

I used to do that trick - etch between temper cycles and build up and then set oxides. Boiling is supposed to help in some circumstances, although I am not sure exactly whether it makes a difference with the oxides from etching. I know it does with rust bluing, though.

Filet knives are just about the hardest knife for me to make. That long and thin blade takes work. I guess I should do them stock removal and leave forging alone unless they are clad or something.

Nice looking blade. How does it flex?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Kevin, fillet knives are tricky...

You've done a marvelous job with this one, as always the profile is quite graceful, and the rebates scales are a nice touch.

I'm going to have to try that etch/temper trick on an axe head one of these days. I usually leave them as-forged, but a bit of color might look really cool. 

Nice work on the whole project. I really like that sheath! 

Jake, I love it. That is one as soon as you see you want to go out and catch a big fish, just so you can try it out!! Two thumbs up!

I forgot to add that I think this looks like a great filet knife. I thought that was implied, but I needed to say it. Nice work, as always. I have been a fan of your work since I first started seeing it on here, and you have taken time to explain a whole array of things to me. Thanks.