Surgery Tomorrow (warning graphic pic)

HI Guys.

finished a knife and sharpened it but was not happy with the handle shape so I wrapped the blade in paper and tape.

I then re shaped the handle.

Well I have had the flu so i have not been at the forge for a bit and was bored so I thought i would check the blade for rust as i had spent a fair bit of time hand finishing it.

Well i went to slide the paper sheath off and it was stuck so i pulled it..i forgot it was sharp and it cut right through the sheath and also my finger.

So here i sit at hospital with the flu waiting for surgery while a cyclone is brewing off the coast of Darwin.

Oh well..at least it is my left hand

20170304_171235.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

Thanks Alan,

Hate hospitals...will never sharpen a knife before its finished again. Will get a good view of cyclone from the top floor. Think I will be just be a cat 1 so just a lot of wind and rain.

Oh, that looks like it hurts. :o 

On the plus side I have always heard, a knife that draws blood from the maker is going to be a great knife! OK so I am sure that doesn't make you feel any better but, it did take your mind off of it. For about,.................1 second! 

Good luck on the surgery!!! I have always said the only time a hospital was a good place to be is when you need one................ Mate, you need one!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I know I am not the first or last to fall prey of one of our own creations..

very easy to get caught up on how a blade looks or feels and forget what it does or can do.

Theatre is closed because of Cyclone threat so I have to wait out today. Bit bored.

wind starting to pick up a bit now, was so still all night. (Photo from hospital room)

image.jpeg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

just saw Plastic Surgeon who said that there is still good blood supply and the artery has stopped bleeding. There is only feeling in half of my finger but at least some tendons are still intact and I can still bend it.

The hospital has closed the Theatre to only life threatening circumstances so I have been patched up and sent home till Tuesday morning when he will operate. I have been given a heap of Antibiotics so hope all holds out till then.

cyclone s only a Cat 1 and is passing now..just like a windy rainy day and a lot of fuss about not much.

supposed to intensify to cat 2 but it will be long past by then.

Silly thing is I had a look at the knife that got me and I just wish I could finish it..so close..this one has fought me all the way.

Bummer about your hand.  Came close one time when I forgot that the blade I was working with had two sharp edges.

I've ridden out four hurricanes when I lived on the East Coast.  Even Cat 1 aren't much fun and it depends on how long it take them to pass that determines how much damage that they cause.  Hunker down and keep safe.

Doug

Was thinking of you Mate had to stop by and see what was happening!!!

Well Cyclone passed with nothing more than a bit of rain and light wind.....not complaining about that as I would not be in a position to cut up fallen trees.

Saw the surgeon today and he has me booked for Wed morning as he said it will require the microscope.  Still do not know extent of damage. Dr said tendons can be 90% severed and still function but snap later if not repaired.

Could have been heaps worse, though my hand modelling days are over:blink: I am lucky I only cut one finger and it was my left hand.

Makes me wonder how back in the day people carried on after sword and axe battles. This would have just been a scratch to them. There would be no theatre or microscopes. When I think of it like that I feel like a big sook haha

Thanks CC and all of you guys for looking in on me and for the kind words.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Makes me wonder how back in the day people carried on after sword and axe battles. This would have just been a scratch to them. There would be no theatre or microscopes. When I think of it like that I feel like a big sook haha

It was easier back then. There were only two options. You either cut it off, cauterized the stump and prayed that worked, or you waited two weeks and died from infection.

Edited by Joshua States

You guys are great,

Had opperation today. Not sure exactly the deal as when the Dr spoke to me I was 23.5% normal. But from what I think I remember is that he fixed the artery and the nerve which was completly severed and I think the tendons were ok

Anyhow I will know more when i see him in a couple of days.

I have a boxing glove with some sort of backbone to wear.

Once again thanks to all for well wishes.

Rob

2017-03-08 19.11.26.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like the outcome will be good! Now take care of it and don't injure it more by doing something stupid while it is healing! Like splitting some stitches, getting it infected, etc., etc.! 

I know how hard that is. I stuck a machete in my ankle a while back, let me rephrase that! I had just sharpened it and I hit the fence I was cutting along, the machete kick sideways and is now coming for my thigh and I am doing everything I can to keep the swing away from my thigh and it comes down along my leg, and the momentum rips it out of my hand, and it sticks in the ground about 2" from my foot!.

I thought I had cleared everything till I realize my ankle is burning, I look down to see a chunk of skin about the size of a golf ball or bigger just barely hanging on my leg just above the ankle!! I wouldn't stay off of it and broke it open several times and it got infected. Had to go have it cleaned out, on antibiotics and it took forever to heal. Still have a scar that hurts some days!!

So you see Rob, this is the voice of experience speaking, when I tell you to take care of it!! :lol:

• Like 1

Glad to hear you had a successful surgery. I had a club hand as well after my finger incident. You'll be going crazy I'm sure to hace it off and get back at it. Keep it clean and heal up fast.

Thanks Fellas,

feeling very restless, first time in ages I have spare time and can't do anything with it...while I sit here killing time...time is killing me!

Use this time to tidy the shop, take inventory, anything you can and not strain or hurt the surgery site!! Or take the time and go on vacation! :lol: