Sign in to follow this  
Jan Ysselstein

Book with Japanese Sword Dimensions

I am hoping some of you have access to some books about Japanese swords that give some details on the dimensions of swords. Any help will be appreciated.

Jan

I have a few books, but none of them are very detailed in measurements, BUT, if you would like some good reference, I really like the Unique Japan website.  There are a ton of classic swords on there with quite a few details about each sword, including measurements of curvature, width at machi, length, etc.  Some swords are better documented, but there are a huge selection to look at it and wonderfully clear pictures.  This one for example is very well documented. 

Traditional measurements, moto-kasane, saki-kasane etc. don't really tell you the full story of blade geometries. You need these start points and weight. And weights aren't often published. I spent many a month copying the same blade using photos and traditional measurements but was consistently 200 grams heavier than the original. I finally achieved the task by changing to a much higher shinogi-ji and a re-think on thickness tapering. It is often published that Japanese katana are an even taper in thickness from mune-machi to tip. Weight tells you this isn't so. My experience is they drop in thickness quite quickly over the first 6 inches. In gendaito , from around 8 -8.4 mm to around 6.5-7 mm in the first 150 mm and then a more even taper to 5.0 -5.7 mm at the tip, depending on length and school.

A more experienced member should be able to add more 'consideration' to this topic.

Edited by MacKINNON

Thank you Wes and MacKinnon  , I see that will be quite a challenge.

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

Mike,

That is a great website thank you for posting it.