Edge protection for you & the blade

C Craft

Thought I might share this one with everyone. An accident in the shop is sooooooo easy and often it happens around complacency. Something we have done in the past such, as in a hurry and not clamping a piece down at the drill press, and getting attacked by the helicopter! A accident at the table saw one day nearly cost me an eye, as it is I just have a new scar to add to my collection!!

Any way something I have been doing for a while with my blades is when they get too a point where the blade point is dangerous. As we all know, "the knife does not know, when it is done and is perfectly willing to draw blood at any point it can"!!  Image result for vampire emotions

Anyway I found that this heavy wall vinyl tube is great to protect the edge of the blade as well as you from the blade!

174t_-001_2.jpg

Some of it is heavy enough you may have to actually take like a 1/8" slot out for the blade, Clamp it on the work bench and use a ruler and a razor knife to split the vinyl tubing and if you need to remove more for a thick blade do it before you take it out from the clamps. With care slide it over the blades edge and tape with painters tape across the blade. Put a notch in in it at the point and you can fold it back at the point, and now the point is protected!! 

Not a real brain storm of an idea but it works, and the cost is minimal compared to stitches or worse!! Hope it helps somebody out there!

Edited by C Craft
  • Like 1

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

Great idea. I've done it with a few blades when I ship. Need to do it on every blade really... :rolleyes:. If you're in the states, you can easily find the tubing at your local petsmart or petco and I'm sure at hardware stores. 

Yep, it works. Just got to be careful about installing and removing it from a blade. It will even protect the blades edge against droping the blade, What got me started doing it was I had a blade in the vice working on it and knocked something over on the bench. I reached across the bench to grab it up. When I did the  point got me. Thinking there has got to be a better way than just tape. I grabbed up a piece of vinyl hose I had laying around, split it and then cut a 45* out of the side walls. Pull it over the point and fold it up the back side or spine/false clip of the blade and,  tape it with some painters tape and now the blades edge and point are not nearly as apt to cut you or spear you or cut you!!  

Any time I am around a job site and see some I grab it up! It is used for so many purposes and most hardware and box stores have it and a roll lasts for a while. It can be cut for length and re-used on the next knife! 

Edited by C Craft

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft