Alan Longmire

Spontoon pipe tomahawk

Very,very nice!!!

Alan, you have done a fantastic job, well done.

As to the design of a spontoon, I recall meeting Matt Parkinson a number of years ago at a Ren Fair and noticed he had a few at his stall. One in particular had a carved haft and a damascus head and when I asked him about it, he called it the "Spon-Doom".

Haven't been able to look at one and not say spon-doom ever since :P

Very nice!  Looks like it could tickle any internal organ you chose.  It the little plug in the end so you can clean out the smoke hole?  Or is that the end you suck on?

That's a cleanout plug.  It would be a little awkward to smoke it from that end, there is a severe risk of seppuku that way...;)

On 3/15/2017 at 11:14 AM, Alan Longmire said:

That's a cleanout plug.  It would be a little awkward to smoke it from that end, there is a severe risk of seppuku that way...;)

Or at least some unintended facial surgery.  I thought one smoked from the handle, but that was from watching 60's and 70's westerns.  Not exactly a reliable source for historical information.

Monticello has a particularly fearsome looking one on the walls if you havent seen it before. 

I know i am a little late to this party but that looks mint! 

Any risk of a cheeky little cut while smoking it up though?

Indeed there is!  Caveat emptor, as they say.  I guess he can always dull it up a bit, but he requested sharp, so sharp he got. It's a two-foot handle, so if he drops it while puffing a femoral artery might get in the way...:ph34r:

• Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 11:57 PM, Alan Longmire said:

femoral artery might get in the way...:ph34r:

Depends what's in the bowl, they may not notice it... Hilarious post btw. Did you send a waiver with it?

Is there any instructions on how that bowl was attached? 

The bowl was turned on a lathe with a stem threaded 3/8-16. I drilled and tapped a hole in the back of the head, screwed the bowl on, and brazed it with Harris Safety-Silv 56, then filed it all flush and clean.  Once it has enough age on it it will be an invisible joint.

• Like 1