Questions about Admiral Steel

I'm thinking about buying some hot-rolled 1095 from admiral. I would be interested in anyone's opinion about quality, scale buildup, things like that. Up till now I've used 1084 from Aldo and have no complaints. No scale, pre-annealed and easy to work with. Its great to pull right out of the box and get to work. But I say the great deals they have at admiral and was wondering if it was worth it. Thanks!!!

I don't know if it is still the case, but for a long time (~2004-2012 or so) Admiral's 1095 was in a funky condition from the mill that resulted in severe alloy banding.  As in, if etched it looks almost like wootz.  It's mostly a cosmetic thing, unless you're going for either hyperperformance or traditional-looking hamon.  They may have a new batch now, I haven't seen that effect in a while.

I'm still a beginner, and only do stock removal, but for what it's worth...I use Admiral's hot-rolled 1075. I have to soak it in vinegar to remove the scale before I start working it. But, the price makes it worth it for me---a pair of 60" bars shipped to my door for $72.

It was many, many years ago, but Admiral's 1095 was true to form, and best quenched in heated brine over oil. Very shallow hardening.

I do prefer Admiral's 1070 / 15N20 for my damascus blades though. For whatever reason, I seem to get better pattern definition over Aldo's 1084 /15N20.

My experience is also from an old batch but Admirals 1095 did have some serious alloy banding. Made for interesting hamons. I will say, the batch of 1095 I got from Admirals back in the day is the most robust water quenching steel I have ever used. I could over heat it and it would survive. Was great to learn on.

Their 1070/1080 has enough manganese in it that a quarter inch section quenched in water will crack.

12 hours ago, Matthew Parkinson said:

admirals 1075 has higher Manganese than the 1075 aldo has, not sure why you would get less than with 1084, that should have more.

It wasn't about definition defined by contrast. The boundaries between the steels were, for lack of a better description, muddy.

Shrug. Aldo's great. I just prefer the consistency of the steels I've gotten used to over the past 20 years. I encourage new blade smiths to order from Aldo. ;)