Florian F Fortner

Rapier Blade WIP (Vienna Armoury A572)

Two weeks ago I started another rapier blade. This time a little more elaborate, based on an original I measured in the royal armoury in Vienna. It is a blade made by Juan Martinez of Toledo, in my opinion the best bladesmith in the late 16th, early 17th century in Europe. It will take some time to complete, so I will update with new pictures until finished.

This is how it should look like when finished:

DSC_2919.JPG

The waterjet-cut  blank first gets a distal taper on the belt grinder, then the bevels are roughly ground with the goniometer (see older thread on this). After this it looks like so:

P1070573.JPG

Next step is scraping the fullers. First, I mark the fuller centerlines on the blade. As this blade has two fullers which are not parallel, but taper in width and are at a slight angle to the centerline, this needs to be corrected by placing the blade at an offset and angle in the scraping jig. It is also very important to get the fullers on both sides to align well for proper cutouts.

P1070578.JPG

When the fullers are finished I mark and drill holes for the cutouts. Then I join two holes with a jewelers saw:

P1070639.JPG

P1070640.JPG

P1070641.JPG

The secret to make it look elegant and the remaining material thinner than it is (actually 4mm), the corners need to be filed in a pointy shape which gives a dramatic difference optically (cutouts to the left compared to the ones on the right):

P1070642.JPG

Still filing the tiny cutouts, so stay tuned... :D

P1070638.JPG

• Like 4

I'm along for the ride!  Thanks in advance for sharing your progress.

I am very excited to see where this goes.  

Super cool.  That original blade is great, looks like you are well on your way to doing it justice!

What the others said.  Looks great! 

That is really sweet 

Here is a small intermediate update. I had to file the blade down in thickness a bit to make it flexible enough for sparring (1/20mm makes a difference here, thickness affects the bending-behaviour with a factor of x^4, but doesn't change the moment of inertia much), otherwise my training partners would not be happy fighting me :-)

Filing is finished now, the coutouts too. Next step is shaping the ricasso, decorating the forte and lots of sandpaper.

P1070647.JPGP1070648.JPG

• Like 1

I had only little time this weekend, so I just did the ricasso fullers. The tool works nicely even with a 20mm wide scraping surface.

P1070650.JPGP1070651.JPG

I really like your fuller scraping jig, would you mind sharing details?

11 hours ago, Sean H said:

I really like your fuller scraping jig, would you mind sharing details?

I second that.  It looks like a very refined version of what I use, without the duct tape, rust, and bad machining...

Most impressive work...

@Wes Detrick Thank you!!! 

Parallel to the work on the hilt, I also spend time on finishing this blade. 

I used the awesome "Steel Master" rotary bits and discs from my local goldsmith's supply store to finish the fullers. This saves a lot of time and works much better than carbide or sandpaper drums when a smooth finish is required. They can also be easily ground to a shape on a carbide wheel.

P1070744.JPG

Next up is the inscription in the fullers. Here I use a combination of punches (square, triangle, line and circle) and engraving. This time it's quite tricky because the letters are really small (less than 1/8"), so it's optivisor time! :D

The inscription reads "VELIS NOLISVE" (Whether you want or not - Camillo Agrippa's motto)

P1070745.JPG

Next step is heat treatment, suspense guaranteed... :P

Ooh, pretty!  I wouldn't mind having a local goldsmith supply store, but Johnson City is hardly comparable to Vienna...:lol: wonder if I can get those wheels here?

Finally I can call this finished. 40 hours in total, sanded to 600grit (more than enough for sparring abuse :P). Overall length is 120cm, blade length is 105cm and the finished weight is 620g. Like a good swordblade should be - it handles nicely without a hilt and a pommel (if it doesn't, it's usually a hopeless case...) The rest of the weapon I will document in the hilt WIP. Thanks for watching!

P1070765.JPGP1070769.JPGP1070770.JPGP1070771.JPG

• Like 2

Nice Florian. Congratulations, that looks awesome.

Congratulations on finishing this blade. It is magnificent. Do you need my address ... :P ?

Thanks for sharing.